error on load, no shading in maya 7.0

I have Maya 7.0 and installed the ColladaMaya Plugin 0.90, together with the Cg Toolkit 1.5 beta, like the instructions say.

However, when I load any of the testsuite’s files, the console shows the following error message:

file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/count/Desktop/testsuite/test3.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/count/Desktop/testsuite/test3.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
// Reloaded vertex/fragment program from file: C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/count/Desktop/testsuite/shaders/BumpReflect.cgfx
// Error: CG ERROR : The profile is not supported. //
// Error: //
// cgfxShaderNode::cgErrorCallBack
// cgfxShaderNode::cgErrorCallBack

when I switch to smooth or flat shading now, the objects only appear black.

Any clues?

Cheers,

Uwe

It is a typical error about using ColladaFX shader when the CgFXShader plug-in is loaded. It is a problem that ColladaFX and CgFX shaders cannot work side-by-side. So please make sure the CgFX mll is not loaded before I can find a fix.

About black rendering, I think that is a bug when shader failed to connect effect parameters to the program in some CgFX files. Trying to debug it now.

I have tested the default BumpReflect.cgfx in Maya presets without error. Could you please paste the .cgfx file here if you are not using the default file?

zhang

I didn’t modify any files, simply loaded test3.dae, which loads the BumpReflect.cgfx file. I’m relatively new to all this, maybe I made a mistake. After disabling the cgfx plugin the error messages disappeared, as you said, however, the black shading problem still persists.

Here is what I did (which isn’t much really):

I installed maya 7.0 from scratch, and copied the plug-in (v0.90) and it’s scripts into their directories. The plugin seems to load fine in maya.

Then I loaded the samples, that’s about it. Also didn’t change any settings in maya that I’m aware of. I’m using the newest nvidia drivers now (84.21); my graphics board is a gforce 6600GT (which supports SM3.0, so there shouldn’t be a problem from there either).

Any clues? If you need more info (screenshots etc.) I’ll be happy help!

… or can it be that the files in the testsuite/ directory in the 0.90 plugin distribution are out of date and don’t work with 0.90?

Cheers,

Uwe

I have tested the testsuite and i encounter no problem. Shaders are render in real time.

I have follow the install instructions has you discribe it, so can’t see a simple issue.

Good luck to find why it doesn’t work.

Did you test for this issue?
You are not loading cgFX.mll are you ?

Also, we had some problem in the past of Maya installing an older version of cg in the path.

What you have to do is to see if by any chance Maya has installed its own copy of cg.dll, and is using this copy, instead of the cg 1.5 beta installation (that you need to get from nVidia and install) You can check the ‘PATH’ environement variable and see if the first cg.dll that will be loaded by Maya is the right one…

alright, first of all sorry for not checking back earlier, but I haven’t been around for the last week or so.

However, I checked for the cg.dll issue, and yes, Maya kept loading the wrong dll. I fixed that (see below, but Maya still doesn’t display collada files properly:

Now it’s loading cg.dll v1.50,0604,036 (version that prcview - from www.prcview.com - spills out), which is the one I took from the beta SDK. I simply overwrote cg.dll, cgGL.dll and cgc.exe that I found in Maya’s bin directory with the version from the beta SDK.

I also made sure that cgfxShader.mll is not loaded.

I also found that the ‘hardware texturing’ display option lets stuff appear green rather than black, but that doesn’t help either…

Any other clues? I’m a coder, not a maya artist, could I have overlooked any display options (I switched the display option to ‘smooth shade all’, that should do the trick, shouldn’t it?)

Cheers,

Uwe

Strang. I try to re-produce the problem on my side but get no luck.

To display textures, select “Smooth Shade All” and “Hardware Texturing”. By default, press ‘6’ is OK.

I think “stuff appear green” means the Cg/CgFX source failed to load and compile, then only default vertex color is returned. Any error log or command feedback in Script Editor this time?

zhang

The test files included in the ColladaMaya package are wrong.
Feeling Software will fix those files in the next release of the plugin.
Please test with the files included in the COLLADA-DOM distribution.

Well, I’m getting concerned now:

I installed the new 2.00 ColladaMaya on my box today. I tried the new test cases included in the distribution: same trouble as before.

Then I downloaded the collada DOM distribution from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/coll … patch3.zip

and loaded all the samples from samples/data. Again, the same picture, but I noticed that only models that use colladaFX have loading problems, everything else works fine (however, collada without FX is only half as sexy…)

Oh, and I’m getting no error messages on load or display. And neither the viewport nor the material display seem to render the material correctly (all green or black)

Any further clues? Is there anything else I can do/test to provide you guys with further infos?

Cheers,

Uwe

Are those test files actually changed with their new release?

Are those test files actually changed with their new release?

Yep, they did change from 0.90. However, as stated above, I also tested with the collada DOM distribution’s samples, with the same effect.

I tried the whole thing now on another machine, just to be sure.

The result is the same - neither the testsuite coming with colladaMaya 2.0 nor the samples int the collada DOM distribution that habe colladaFX portions in it work, they’re still all black or green.

I tested in an AMD 64 X2 4200+ with an NVIDIA 7600GS graphics board. Again, freshly installed Maya 7.0, cg Toolkit 1.5 beta (made sure its DLLs are in Maya’s bin directory so it doesn’t load the preinstalled old versions), and the ColladaMaya 2.0 plugin.

I also ran the examples that come with the cg toolkit, they work fine on my machine as well (so it’s not that cg stuff doesn’t work in general on my box).

Here is an excerpt of the command console output while I was loading one testcase/sample after the other:

[…]
pv_performAction “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/multimtl.dae” “Best Guess”;
file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/multimtl.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/multimtl.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
connectAttr -f redMaterial.outColor redMaterialSG.surfaceShader;
connectAttr -f blueMaterial.outColor blueMaterialSG.surfaceShader;
// Result: 1 //
pv_performAction “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom140.dae” “Best Guess”;
file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom140.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom140.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
pv_performAction “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_durer.dae” “Best Guess”;
file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_durer.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_durer.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
pv_performAction “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_plastic.dae” “Best Guess”;
file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_plastic.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_plastic.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
select -r Mushroom_resting2 ;
pv_performAction “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_plastic.dae” “Best Guess”;
file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_plastic.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_plastic.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
pv_performAction “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_wigglatexadescent.dae” “Best Guess”;
file -f -typ “COLLADA importer” -o “C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_wigglatexadescent.dae”;addRecentFile(“C:/Xtract/collada_dom_path3/COLLADA_DOM/samples/data/COLLADA/mushroom_wigglatexadescent.dae”, “COLLADA importer”);
[…]

One thing that does strike me is the ‘Result: 1’ comment after each load command - does that mean ‘true - all ok’ or is it like a C std library return (not equal to zero implies error)

Anyways, I’m not really keen on debugging the plugin to find out what’s wrong, does anyone have any more clues for me what I could try?

Cheers,

Uwe

Hi Uwe,

I’ve been working on usability and stability for the ColladaFX render node, this week. I’m going to make a service-release, tomorrow, with the modifications that I’ve done to improve the ColladaFX render node, as well as a number of fixes requested by users.

Please try the new version, tomorrow. If you still experience issues: email us directly at colladamaya@feelingsoftware.com.

Sincerely,