Collada Max 1.04 - UVmaps, map amount, 2-sided, etc ????

hello there,

i tried latest plugIn for Max (ColladaMax 1.04 Fri Jun 23, 2006)
and i am surprised and sad to see that many previous features are not available anymore:

• MATERIAL: diffuse/ambient/specular colors with a texture are not exported anymore
  • MATERIAL: map amounts are not exported anymore
  • MATERIAL: no more extranode for <double_sided>
  • ANIMATION: curve tangents are not correctly exported/imported

and there are some brand new problems:

• UV mapping are not recognized when re-imported into 3DSMax
  • GEOM EDGES: when re-imported in 3DSMax, all edges of the objects become invisible (losing important face information)

what happened? why did we lose those important features? Could we get them back?
thanks.
regards.

If you have issues with the 3dsMax/Maya translators, please use our public bugzilla: http://www.feelingsoftware.com/bugzilla

> MATERIAL: diffuse/ambient/specular colors
> with a texture are not exported anymore.

That’s a part of the COLLADA 1.4 specification.

> ANIMATION: curve tangents are not correctly
> exported/imported

The animation curve tangents were wrong in previous versions of 3dsMax, they will now inter-operate correctly with Maya. Bear in mind that ColladaMax doesn’t export/import the animation curve tangent lengths yet.

> GEOM EDGES: when re-imported in 3DSMax,
> all edges of the objects become invisible
> (losing important face information)

I’m not sure I understand this one: please provide more information when you post it on the bugzilla.

Thanks for your feedback,
Sincerely,

I’m currently testing if collada could be used as a source format instead of program specific formats like .max.

I have the UV import problem as well and this is the first sign I find of others haveing that problem. Basically I was starting to think that I did something wrong when I installed the Collada tools and then ColladaMAX 1.4 on top.

Anybody got some news on this? the import option is pretty much useless without support for UV’s.

-Soren Seeberg

That sounds like a nasty regression bug !
Can you make sure to report this in the right place, as mentionned by glaforte ?

Thanks

Hello again,

Just a quick follow-up. I’ve bumped the internal priority of this issue:
http://www.feelingsoftware.com/bugzilla … .cgi?id=30

We’ll make sure to look for a solution before the next release. We are currently looking at releasing a bug-fixed version of ColladaMax before Siggraph.

Sincerely,

Is it possible for you to release a build without the UV-map issue sooner? It would be VERY helpfull.

We just started using ColladaMaya and ColladaMax here. I have to congradulate you guys at Feeling Software for the great work. Keep it up.

Thanks in advance!

One of our engineers is looking at this issue right now.

Depending on how much code gets modified, I might be able to give you an unofficial ‘diff’ post on this forum for the issue.

Sincerely,

This is the SVN modification diff for the fix:

Modified: FeelingSoftware/main/src/ColladaMax/GeometryImporter.cpp

— FeelingSoftware/main/src/ColladaMax/GeometryImporter.cpp 2006-07-11 15:55:52 UTC (rev 2264)
+++ FeelingSoftware/main/src/ColladaMax/GeometryImporter.cpp 2006-07-11 18:18:41 UTC (rev 2265)
@@ -577,6 +577,10 @@
size_t sourceElementCount = source->GetSourceData().size() / source->GetSourceStride();

MeshMap& mapChannel = meshObject.Map(mapChannelIndex);
  •   // enable the mapChannel...

•   meshObject.setMapSupport( mapChannelIndex, TRUE );

•   mapChannel.setNumVerts((int) sourceElementCount);

// Assign to the channel vertices the source data.

I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

---- edit

Worked perfectly.