Error when importing a model (updated)

I am importing a character into 3ds Max 9 64 bit and I get this error:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
-ERROR: Library not found: #blMilWom_v3_72712-skin
-ERROR: Unable to parse xml/dae file

here is what I found in the .dae file:

<node id=“blMilWom_v3_72712-skin_skinInstance” name=“blMilWom_v3_72712-skin_skinInstance”>
<rotate sid=“rotateX”>1 0 0 0</rotate>
<rotate sid=“rotateY”>0 1 0 0</rotate>
<rotate sid=“rotateZ”>0 0 1 0</rotate>
<instance_controller url="#blMilWom_v3_72712-skin">

This blMilWom_v3_72712-skin is all over the place in it. Does anyone know what this error is or how I can fix it?

Max is reporting that it can’t find an element that’s referenced in the document. There are two possible problems:

(1) The element really isn’t in the document. Open the document and search for this string (with the quotes): id=“blMilWom_v3_72712-skin”

If you don’t find it, the document is probably wrong. It’s likely a bug in the software that made the document. Report the bug.

(2) The element is in the document. In this case there might be something wrong with the Max importer. Report the problem to Feeling Software.

If you post the document somewhere, or zip it and email it to me at x@y.com*, I can help you further narrow it down.

• x = sthomas314, y = gmail

Its the second one. I found blMilWom_v3_72712-skin 17 times in the document. I am sending it to you, tried to paste it in a text file but its over 25,000 pages long so I am trying to send you the .dae file which is 85mb (23mb zipped). Just let me know if you get it. Do you think its a texture file or is it some internal problem?

Finding the controller id for 17 times doesn’t mean that you have found its definition. As Steven said, you should find something like this:

<library_controllers>
<controller id="blMilWom_v3_72712-skin">
<skin/>
</controller>
</library_controllers>

Maybe you have found its instances, not its definition.
-Ehsan-

This?

&lt;library_controllers&gt;
    &lt;controller id="blMilWom_v3_72712-skin"&gt;
        &lt;skin source="#blMilWom_v3_72712-morphList"&gt;
            &lt;bind_shape_matrix&gt;1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1&lt;/bind_shape_matrix&gt;

Sorry but I am not a programmer so I am in the dark on all of this. I am just interested in how I can fix this error and why its occurring.

Also try to report this bug to the feelingsoftware forum:
http://www.feelingsoftware.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,86/board,3.0/lang,en
-Ehsan-

viathan, it looks like the element that ColladaMax says is missing is in fact in the document. So you should report the problem to Feeling Software, which I think you mentioned you already did. Unfortunately, I’m not sure of a good next step beyond that. A programmer needs to take a look at their code and figure out why it’s not finding the element. Hopefully Feeling gets back to you.

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe its because I am using Max 64bit. I am using the Collada plug in that came with Max 9, not the one you download. I would think that if it came with Max 9 (64) it would work. :wink: If anyone stumbles across something let me know.

I am using the Collada plug in that came with Max 9
As I understand it (I could be mistaken), there are actually two Collada plugins for Max: the one developed by Feeling Software, and one from Autodesk that uses their FBX to Collada converter. You want the Feeling one. So actually, you might not even be using Feeling’s code at all. In that case you would want to report the problem to Autodesk. You should try to avoid their FBX to Collada converter if you can… the Feeling one is much better from what I understand.

If you want to find out which one you’re using, take any model in Max and export it as a Collada model. Open up the file and look at the <authoring_tool> tag. If that doesn’t say “ColladaMax”, you’re probably using Autodesk’s plugin.

As I understand it (I could be mistaken), there are actually two Collada plugins for Max: the one developed by Feeling Software, and one from Autodesk that uses their FBX to Collada converter.

I am using max 9 64 bit and from what I understand you cant install the plug in on 64. I am following a post on the Feeling software site. They say this:

The installer is a 32-bit installer that only contains 32-bit binaries. If your max-8 is a 32-bit version running on 64-bit, then the installer will recognize it. However, if your max9 is a 64-bit binary, then the installer will not recognize it. Your only current option is to download the source files for ColladaMax and FCollada, and compile them in 64-bit.

I dont know how to compile so I am waiting for someone to figure it out and maybe they can send me how they did it.

Hmm… it’s not very likely that a developer will compile a 64-bit ColladaMax for you just for kicks. Really your best bet is for Feeling to start supporting a 64-bit version of the plugin themselves. Of course that’s up to them though… they might be willing to do it for a fee. Sorry I can’t be more help.

I figured as much. The guy on the forum said he was going to try and compile it so if that works then great. I got my friend to do it in Max 8 so its all good.