Polygons in Collada having textures

Hi,-
has anybody used polygons in collada with textures embedded in?
The collada file is in a KMZ file.
i cannot see polygons in Google Earth.
any help is appreciated.
best regards

For an example of how it’s supposed to work, export a textured model from SketchUp to Google Earth kmz v4. That’ll have a zipped kmz with the .dae and textures inside. One trick is that you’re supposed to have a textures.txt file which maps the Collada texture references to the names of the texture files contained in the zip.

Hi,-
Thanks for the reply.
they are all there. i am suspecting using directx vs. opengl.
but, what else can it be?
thanks

I don’t understand exactly what the problem is. So you have a kmz file with textures and Collada data that you created, and Google Earth doesn’t render it properly? Where does the model come from?

yup, that is the problem, sthomas.
if i can be provided a working example, i will fix my error
which i dont think i have.
it might be due to my video card etc.
i just wanna confirm i have the correct code.
thanks

I would do this:
(1) Download Sketchup.
(2) Make a model with textures and export to Google Earth 4 kmz.
(3) Load the model in Google Earth and confirm that it shows up fine.
(4) Open the kmz (it’s just a zip file) and look at the Collada file inside. How is this file different from yours?

Also, if you want to confirm that your model is correct, you can load it in Feeling Viewer or Collada RT and see if it’s displayed correctly.

hmm, yes i can do that which will take time. i will eventually have to do this because noone seems to have tried this before since i dont get any response from anyone who has experience on this.
thanks

I’ve gotten textured Collada models into Google Earth just fine before. I used <triangles> though, not <polygons>.

It shouldn’t take you that long to check if your model is invalid. Do this:
(1) Download the Collada coherency test from here.
(2) Unzip it somewhere.
(3) Run it on the command line like this: “coherencytest myModel.dae”.

The coherency test will report problems in your model.

triangles are fine.
problem is with polygons
thanks

Then I guess they have a bug, or maybe they thought it wasn’t important enough to implement. In either case you should report it to them if it’s a problem for you.

Many apps aren’t going to support polygons very well, since the triangulation necessary for rendering on graphics hardware is tricky to implement properly. If you want to make Collada models that work well with many different apps, triangles are your best bet.

Sorry I am catching up late in this thread.

Google Earth does not support polygons. This is not the only feature it does not support, for instance I think it does not support vertex color either.

Sketchup export to google earth triangulate all the geometry.
I think there is also a Sketchup export to COLLADA direct, which will produce more advanced geometries (such as polygons) that wont load in Google Earth.

I recommend using the COLLADA Refinery to preprocess your COLLADA files for any given target application. Refinery should have a triangulation conditioner that will take care of that problem automatically for you.
Also, I recommend always using the coherency checker on a COLLADA document you have a problem with, and try to load it with several applications (like FXComposer, Feeling Viewer, COLLADA RT…) to see where the problem is.

Regarding the lack of polygon support for Google Earth, you may want to contact them directly to see if they are going to fix this or not. This is really up to you, and like I said it should not be a problem they do not support it, since you are supposed to condition your data between your DCC tool and the target application, using a COLLADA conditioning pipeline.