DOM SVN install - library problem

Hi.

I am using Ubuntu Linux, and have installed the collada DOM libraries from SVN as per the instructions here:

http://www.collada.org/mediawiki/index. … Setting_up

The make and install process appeared to work fine, however i am having problems with missing libraries. Here is a simple program i was using to test with:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <dae.h>
#include <dom/domCOLLADA.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  printf("Testing
");

DAE *collada_dom;
  collada_dom = new DAE();

//delete collada_dom;

}

I run G++ to compile it as per the guide:
g++ -Wall -I/usr/include/collada test.cpp -lcollada_dae -lcollada_dom -lcollada_dae -lcollada_STLDatabase -lcollada_stdErrPlugin -lcollada_LIBXMLPlugin -lxml2 -o test

I am getting the following linker error:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcollada_STLDatabase

upon removing -lcollada_STLDatabase from the command, it complains about -lcollada_stdErrPlugin and then -lcollada_LIBXMLPlugin.

Removing all three of those allows it to compile, but when i add
daeInt error = collada_dom->load(“file:///home/kellyj2/Desktop/collada/cube.dae”);

i get:
./test: symbol lookup error: ./test: undefined symbol: xmlTextReaderGetParserLineNumber

So i am stumped. I cannot find any mention of or how to install these plugins on the forum or the internet.

Removing all three of those allows it to compile

Yes, those libraries no longer exist as of the latest code in svn. I need to update the wiki.

For the other error, do you have the libxml2-dev package installed?

Steve

I thought it might be this too, I had libxml but it was not installed in the usual location
So I have now done an apt-get-install libxml2-dev, and tested like so:
My program currently:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <libxml/parser.h>
#include <dae.h>
#include <dom/domCOLLADA.h>
#include <dom/domProfile_COMMON.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  printf("Testing
");

xmlDoc  *doc          = NULL;
  xmlNode *root_element = NULL;
  doc = xmlReadFile("/home/kellyj2/Desktop/collada/cube.dae", NULL, 0);
  root_element = xmlDocGetRootElement(doc);
  printf("LibXML says root element name is: %s
", root_element->name);

DAE *collada_dom;
  printf("Initialize collada_dom:
");
  collada_dom = new DAE();
  printf("Loading document
");
  daeInt error = collada_dom->load("/home/kellyj2/Desktop/collada/cube.dae");
  printf("The error number is %d", error);
  delete collada_dom;

xmlFreeDoc(doc);
  xmlCleanupParser();
}

the libxml2 stuff seems to work fine, the output is:

~/Desktop/collada>./test
Testing
LibXML says root element name is: COLLADA
Initialize collada_dom:
Loading document
./test: symbol lookup error: ./test: undefined symbol: xmlTextReaderGetParserLineNumber
zsh: exit 127   ./test

Still the same error.

If i use an invalid file name, it will instead fail with error -100.

It sounds like you’re compiling with one version of libxml, but linking to a different (older) version.

Try running “ldd programName” on your exe and see what libxml you’re linking to. Mine says this: “libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 (0xb7768000)”. Yours should say something similar.

The latest code in svn comes with a unit test library that you can build for Linux. Try running “make -k -C domPath/test/build/linux” (replace domPath with the path to the DOM on your machine of course), and that’ll generate a program at “domPath/bin/linux_1.4_debug/domTest”, which you can run like this: “domTest -all”. It should print “All tests passed” when it’s done. If that fails there’s a bigger problem somewhere, but if it works then you have a working DOM client app you can use as a reference. You can run ldd on it to see what’s different between the unit test program and your client app.

Steve

Thanks again.

Indeed you are right, i did a whereis on libxml2 and it pointed to the wrong copy. thanks for all your help with this. As you could probably guess, I have not been using Linux for too long.

~/Desktop/collada>./test
Testing
LibXML says root element name is: COLLADA
Initialize collada_dom:
Loading document
The error number is 0

i re-ordered my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to put /usr/lib first. It even made some other minor problems i was having go away.

Heh no prob. I just started using Linux as my primary development platform earlier this year. Working with C++ in particular is very different under Linux than it is under Windows with Visual Studio; the build architectures are totally different. Anyway if you stick with it I think you’ll find it’s nicer, as long as you’re willing to invest the time into properly setting up a development environment and customizing it for your needs (I mostly use emacs).

Anyway good luck with it and let me know if you have any other problems.

Steve