getting started with COLLADA_RT

Hi,

I’m considering using COLLADA_RT as the starting point for an importer as it seems to get the data closest to the target (OpenGL).
First off the installer from here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … _id=211510
has missing libs in external_libs and also has compile errors.
The SVN version compiled and worked fine.

The next problem I’m having is getting the COLLADA_RT_COMMON project to link with my app. I don’t really want to use RT to render anything - just to get access to the goodies in crtGeometry.cpp or whatever. It seems CG and the rest of the rendering system is not trivial to disable.

There is the following in the code:
// !!!GAC for compatibility with the new COLLADA_FX code, Init now forces UsingCg and UsingVBOs to
// !!!GAC false. It also calls CrtInitCg, creating the CG context and calling cgGLRegisterStates.
// !!!GAC All these things are currently required for the cfx rendering path to work, changing them
// !!!GAC may cause problems. This is work in progress and will be much cleaner when the refactor is done.

Is new code pending?
How do I get it to work (well, just link would be a start) without any CG,rendering etc
Is this even an intended use of the RT codebase?
Seems like considering he following is in the release notes:
1.) To link as a lib for and used to import COLLADA data. There are several
::public interfaces that allow for extraction of all need refactored COLLADA
data for real-time rendering. This has been tested successful within Unreal
Editor with actual Epic Game Data.

Anyways, any help/advice appreciated
Carl

Unfortunately our RT guy just went on vacation. He’ll be gone until 08 so I’ll have to fill in and try to give you some answers.

Is new code pending?
Not really, no.
Is this even an intended use of the RT codebase?
Yes. I know of at least one company that uses RT as an embedded Collada renderer in their app. I don’t think they needed extensive modifications to RT to get it to work as an embedded renderer, but I’m not entirely sure. Sorry I don’t have more info.

To be perfectly frank, if it were me I wouldn’t use RT to render my Collada models. I would write my own renderer, and use some of the conditioners that come with the Collada Refinery to pre-process the Collada data to get it closer to the rendering engine (things like the deindexer conditioner would be useful).

Good luck,
Steve

Thanks.

Don’t want to use RT for rendering - just figured it would be doing some work to get data render ready in exactly the format I want (GL) that using the base libs (DOM or whatever) I’d have to do myself.

To be perfectly frank, if it were me I wouldn’t use RT to render my Collada models. I would write my own renderer, and use some of the conditioners that come with the Collada Refinery to pre-process the Collada data to get it closer to the rendering engine (things like the deindexer conditioner would be useful).

It’s the pre-process and knowledge of deindexer conditioner etc that I’m trying to be lazy and avoid! :slight_smile:

I guess the question for the RT guys would be - any advice on setting up RT as a non rendering lib? Is that what is meant by use #1 in the rel notes?
i.e. there shouldn’t be a need to link in CG etc should there? Am I correct in thinking that using RT could save some work?

My current plan is to use the standalone RT viewer as starting point for a collada importer / custom format exporter. The initial plan was to use RT as a lib/dll included into an existing renderer - just for collada loading. Perhaps the initial plan was going against the grain.

Hope thats a little more clear.

cheers,
Carl

(p.s. its pretty cool this kind of support exists for free)