How to compile COLLADA DOM completely into shared DLL ?

Hi everyong ! I have download the install pack for VC8, then I tryied some small program, link with the current static library supplied. And I found that my “small” program up to 3M, it’s too big! So how can I re-compile the collada dom into shared dll ? I do not know how the dll in ‘bin’ directory running, I want to obain a collada with some small share library and DLL.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to collada.org!

And I found that my “small” program up to 3M, it’s too big!
The DOM binaries are pretty large. I think this is because the code generator creates individual classes for every element in Collada. I’m not sure that much can be done about that.
So how can I re-compile the collada dom into shared dll ? I do not know how the dll in ‘bin’ directory running, I want to obain a collada with some small share library and DLL.
The DOM can be built as a DLL. Just do a “Debug DLL” or “Release DLL” build in Visual Studio. I’m not sure how much that’ll help you though if you’re trying to cut down on the size of the app that you ship. Even if you use the DLL, you’re still going to have to ship the DLL alongside your exe. That’ll probably be just as big as shipping your exe with the DOM statically compiled in.

Steve

Even if you use the DLL, you’re still going to have to ship the DLL alongside your exe. That’ll probably be just as big as shipping your exe with the DOM statically compiled in.

Ha, I understood the total size is the same whatever we choose static or dynamic link, but I just want to know how to make exe smaller.

Thanks your reply.

I just want to know how to make exe smaller.
Hmm, I’m not really sure. I remember in Visual Studio there’s an option “Favor size or speed” or something like that, I think in the code generation properties. Maybe if you set that to “favor size” it’ll generate smaller code. I doubt that’ll help much though.

If 3 MBs is a big deal, the DOM might not be the best API to use.