Side-By-Side configuration

Hi all.

I have stumbled onto the magics of Windows builds.

Using WindowsXP SP2
VisualStudio 2008 professional.

I did a fresh svn co of collada today.
Built it in visualstudio 2008.

The result is a few lib, dll and domtest.exe one each for release and for debug.

Now the release version runs ok. All test passed is reported when:

domtest -all is executed.

But when I run the debug version (Im running it from the command prompt in the \COLLADA_DOM\dom\build\vc8-1.4-d directory, I get the above error.

Running depends.exe domtest to see what it links to, I got the information that the following dll files were missing:
msvcm90d.dll
msvcp90d.dll
msvcr90d.dll
msjava.dll !!!

The first three can be found in the VisualStudio installation, the last, MSJAVA? I have no idea what is using that.

Anyway, the problems still remains.

So now depends doesn’t report any errors, but the domtest.exe wont run.

It works in release, but fails to start in debug.

The best thing, is that it builds and runs on my 64Bit vista machine running visual studio 2008!
But if I copy that build to my machine, it wont work for the same reason.
It has something to do with manifestations etc. but heck I dont know where to begin. Could it be that the dependencies (libxml etc) are built with an older version of visualstudio?

Ouch, these side-by-side configuration errors are always quite painful.

The first three can be found in the VisualStudio installation, the last, MSJAVA? I have no idea what is using that.
I think the msjava.dll error can be ignored. I see that all the time when using depends, even when the app builds and runs fine.

It works in release, but fails to start in debug.
Damn, that’s weird. Can you copy the full error message here?

Could it be that the dependencies (libxml etc) are built with an older version of visualstudio?
That’s exactly what my guess would be, but the weird thing is it runs fine on your 64bit Vista machine. I left the VS 2008 build to use the VS 2005 third-party libs because I tested them under 2008 and they seemed to work fine. Let me try re-building with VS 2008 to see if it still works fine for me. I’ll let you know if I figure anything out.

Steve