Multi-Colored Triangles

I’m exporting a triangle mesh with multiple colors and I’m wondering what the best approach would be.

1. Use a 1D Texture - any examples?

2. Sort the triangles by color and create separate geometries for each material.

I’m favoring the first solution but the second might be more robust, except that my models may have 10-100 different colors. I’m new to DAE so let me know if I missed another way to d this.

Mitch

Another option would be to have a color array in your geometry. Then each vertex gets its own color, which gives you a lot of control. I think this solution is best because it’s both simple to implement and efficient.

Steve

Just what I’m looking for. Since the documentation and samples don’t seem to have much on this I assume I still need to set up a material. If so do I set the diffuse color to white?

Thanks

It gets a little complicated because the Collada spec is vague with some of this.

For example in OpenGL, in order to use per-vertex colors you have to disable lighting, in which case the material properties are ignored. However in Collada there is no standard way to specify that lighting should be disabled in the common profile materials (I used to use an <extra> for this). So when an implementation loads your geometry that has a color array, will it know to disable lighting? Because if it doesn’t disable lighting, then the materials will be used and your colors will just be ignored. Unfortunately I’ve never used color arrays in Collada so I have no idea how well implementations work with them in practice. If you have a specific program in mind you plan to use you could do some testing and find out.

This brings up a flaw in my suggestion of color arrays, which is that you can’t use them with lighting (at least, not using the fixed function pipeline). If you need lighting also and you have to use the fixed function pipeline, the 1D texture is your best bet.

But to answer your question, yes, a material is required for all geometry.

Steve

Collada does seem to take simple things and make them more complicated.

The lighting issue isn’t that important right now since I;m looking to export to Google Earth. When the next version of ArcScene supports DAE this fall I’ll worry about lighting if it’s necessary.

I did try a simple 1D texture (2 triangles + 2 colors) but only succeeded in creating infinite loops in GE and CollView. I tried downloading the verifier but it doesn’t seem to work on Windows XP.

I’ll experiment with the Color Arrays and see how it goes.

Mitch

When the next version of ArcScene supports DAE this fall I’ll worry about lighting if it’s necessary.
Are you an ESRI employee then? Welcome to collada.org!

Collada does seem to take simple things and make them more complicated.
Heh, tell me about it.

I did try a simple 1D texture (2 triangles + 2 colors) but only succeeded in creating infinite loops in GE and CollView. I tried downloading the verifier but it doesn’t seem to work on Windows XP.
If you post your Collada file I can probably help track down what the problem is.

Nope, I work for a RockWare, a geological software company, but I appreciate your help.

Here’s the code for my color array test. It shows the 2 triangles but it’s ignoring the color array in GE and I don’t see anything at all in CollView.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<COLLADA xmlns="http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema" version="1.4.1">
	<asset>
		<contributor>
			<author>Mitch</author>
			<authoring_tool>RockPlot3D</authoring_tool>
			<comments>my comments</comments>
			<copyright>RockWare, Inc.</copyright>
		</contributor>
		<created>2008-4-7</created>
		<modified>2008-4-7</modified>
		<unit meter="0.01" name="centimeter"/>
		<up_axis>Z_UP</up_axis>
	</asset>
	<library_cameras/>
	<library_lights/>
	<library_materials>
		<material id="Blue" name="Blue">
			<instance_effect url="#Blue-fx"/>
		</material>
	</library_materials>
	<library_effects>
		<effect id="Blue-fx">
			<profile_COMMON>
				<technique sid="common">
					<phong>
						<emission>
							<color>0 0 0 1</color>
						</emission>
						<ambient>
							<color>0 0 0 1</color>
						</ambient>
						<diffuse>
							<color>0.137255 0.403922 0.870588 1</color>
						</diffuse>
						<specular>
							<color>0.5 0.5 0.5 1</color>
						</specular>
						<shininess>
							<float>16</float>
						</shininess>
						<reflective>
							<color>0 0 0 1</color>
						</reflective>
						<reflectivity>
							<float>0.5</float>
						</reflectivity>
						<transparent>
							<color>0 0 0 1</color>
						</transparent>
						<transparency>
							<float>1</float>
						</transparency>
						<index_of_refraction>
							<float>0</float>
						</index_of_refraction>
					</phong>
				</technique>
			</profile_COMMON>
		</effect>
	</library_effects>
	<library_geometries>
		<geometry id="tri1-lib" name="tri1">
			<mesh>
				<source id="tri1-lib-positions" name="position">
					<float_array id="tri1-lib-positions-array" count="18">
                    -150   150    0  
                       0     0  150  
                     150   150    0   
                    -150  -150    0  
                       0     0  150  
                     150  -150    0   
                     </float_array>
					<technique_common>
						<accessor count="6" offset="0" source="#tri1-lib-positions-array" stride="3">
							<param name="X" type="float"/>
							<param name="Y" type="float"/>
							<param name="Z" type="float"/>
						</accessor>
					</technique_common>
				</source>
				<source id="tri1-lib-color" name="color">
					<float_array id="tri1-lib-color-array" count="8">
							0.137255 0.403922 0.870588 1                     
							0.870588 0.403922 0.137255 1
					</float_array>
					<technique_common>
						<accessor count="2" offset="0" source="#tri1-lib-color-array" stride="4">
							<param name="R" type="float"/>
							<param name="G" type="float"/>
							<param name="B" type="float"/>
							<param name="A" type="float"/>
						</accessor>
					</technique_common>
				</source>
				<vertices id="tri1-lib-vertices">
					<input semantic="POSITION" source="#tri1-lib-positions"/>
				</vertices>
				<triangles count="2">
					<input offset="0" semantic="VERTEX" source="#tri1-lib-vertices"/>
					<input offset="1" semantic="COLOR" source="#tri1-lib-color"/>

0 0   1 0   2 0  5 1  4 1  3 1</p>
				</triangles>
			</mesh>
		</geometry>
	</library_geometries>
	<library_visual_scenes>
		<visual_scene id="VisualSceneNode" name="untitled">
			<node id="Tri1" name="Tri1">
				<rotate sid="rotateZ">0 0 1 0</rotate>
				<rotate sid="rotateY">0 1 0 0</rotate>
				<rotate sid="rotateX">1 0 0 0</rotate>
				<instance_geometry url="#tri1-lib">
            <bind_material>
              <technique_common>
                 <instance_material symbol="BlueSG" target="#Blue"/>
              </technique_common>
            </bind_material>
				</instance_geometry>
			</node>
		</visual_scene>
	</library_visual_scenes>
	<scene>
		<instance_visual_scene url="#VisualSceneNode"/>
	</scene>
</COLLADA>

xmllint reports some validation errors for your model.

~/misc/domapp$ xmllint --noout --schema ~/misc/collada.xsd ~/models/mitch.dae

/home/sthomas/models/mitch.dae:11: element created: Schemas validity error : Element '{http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}created': '2008-4-7' is not a valid value of the atomic type 'xs:dateTime'.

/home/sthomas/models/mitch.dae:12: element modified: Schemas validity error : Element '{http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}modified': '2008-4-7' is not a valid value of the atomic type 'xs:dateTime'.

/home/sthomas/models/mitch.dae:16: element library_cameras: Schemas validity error : Element '{http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}library_cameras': Missing child element(s). Expected is one of ( {http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}asset, {http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}camera ).

/home/sthomas/models/mitch.dae:17: element library_lights: Schemas validity error : Element '{http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}library_lights': Missing child element(s). Expected is one of ( {http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}asset, {http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema}light ).
/home/sthomas/models/mitch.dae fails to validate

I doubt that’s why Google Earth isn’t loading up the vertex colors though. Your data looks ok to me. GE probably just doesn’t support vertex colors. You could report the problem to them, but who knows when it’d get fixed.

I also tried loading your model into RT, but it looks like it doesn’t support vertex colors either. Lame. Looks like your best bet is the 1D texture. GE does support textured Collada models.

Thanks, I’ll follow up on the GE website.

I’ll work on my 1D texture attempt and if I have questions (which I’m sure I will) I’ll start a new topic.

One more semirelated question: I downloaded xmllint but it only seems to work with a DTD. Is there a Collada DTD available or is there a way to get it to work with Schema?

Mitch

Use xmllint to validate against a schema like this: xmllint --noout --schema collada.xsd model.dae

Thanks, that’ll help me solve some the more basic problems.

GE probably just doesn’t support vertex colors.

That’s a well known problem that has not been reported enough times to GE it seems.

Here’s a list of documented limitations of COLLADA in Google Earth. I complained enough that they finally posted this info :wink:

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documen … html#model

Thanks, I did read that and I can work with those limitations. Hopefully they’ll expand their implementation since they seem committed to Collada.

Update, thanks to the help I received here I’ve successfully completed my Google Earth Collada export. I did end up using a 2D texture with an Nx1 dimension to solve the colors problem. I did have to switch from JPG to PNG as the JPEG Compression (speculation) would change my colors if a minimum number of pixels weren’t used.

Mitch