Is it possible to create a dynamic array of domUnits

For my exporter I have an unknown number of materials: library images for instance. So I need to declare an dynamic array of domUnits. I was trying to initialize it like any other object but it seems i’m not familiar enough with the API. Basically I tried this:

domAsset::domUnit* librimg = (domAsset::domUnit*)root->add("library_images");
domAsset::domUnit* library = new domAsset::domUnit[number_of_images];

for (size_t i = 0; i < number_of_images; i++) {
		if (index[i].tga_diffuse_s > 0) {
			library[i] = (domAsset::domUnit*) librimg->add("library");
			library[i]->setCharData(image_library_array[i].diffuse);
		}
	}

I know this isn’t correct but maybe it will help clarify what i’m trying to achieve. Thanks!

domAsset::domUnit is trying to give the unit for measurement unit purposes. (for example, you want to specify translate of 1.0f unit in your document means 1 km).
For most of the time, you won’t need to use it.

To create an exporter to export “a mesh material with texture” you need to export at least 3 groups of things
<library_materials>
<materials> …
<library_effects>
<effect> …
<library_images>
<image> …

Here is a simple code to create 5 <image> elements from scratch.

domCOLLADA * c = dae->getRoot(file_name);
int num_of_images = 5; // let's say you have 5 texture files
domLibrary_images * li = (domLibrary_images*) c->add(COLLADA_ELEMENT_LIBRARY_IMAGES);
for(int i=0; i<num_of_images; i++)
{
   domImage * image = (domImage*) li->add(COLLADA_ELEMENT_IMAGE);  //add a new image to library
   //image->setId(YOUR_UNIQUE_IMAGE_ID_FOR_IMAGE_i);  //add more attribute to <image>
   domImage::domInit_from * init_from = (domImage::domInit_from*) image->add(COLLADA_ELEMENT_INIT_FROM);
   //init_from->setValue(YOUR_IMAGE_PATH_NAME_FOR_IMAGE_i);  //add more element or attribute in <init_from>
}

After you set up your <material>, <effect>, and <image>, you have to make sure that they are being referenced correctly. A <material> links to a <effect> that could like to one or more <image>.
This is not easy for someone new to COLLADA. I suggest you to export “a mesh material without texture” first.
You will also need to “bind your mesh with a material in your scene” before you can actually see your result in a rendering scene or reference viewer.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Herbert

This works, thanks! I didn’t realize the dom had lots of different classes for each subset but it seems obvious now… :wink:
Thanks for that! In return for all your help I’m willing to expand your wiki tutorials (its quite lacking). Once i’ve really got the hang of this of coarse heh