ColladaMax Exporter:Name and Id for visual_scene tag

Hello,

I hope this forum is the right place to post, if not my apologies.

We are using Collada Max mit 3ds max 9 but in the exported file the name and id for the visual scene node is wrong:

<library_visual_scenes>
    <visual_scene id="test02.max" name="test02_max">

We are also using ColladaMaya which names the node VisualSceneNode. Since we want to use the same asset pipeline for both programs we need to name this node the same.

Is there a setting in 3ds max 9 for the name and id of the visual_scene tag?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Christian

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not my apologies!

We are using ColladaMax to export a scene from 3ds max 9, but have run into some problems with naming the visual scene node:

<library_visual_scenes>
<visual_scene id=“test02.max” name=“test02_max”>

</library_visual_scenes>
<scene>
<instance_visual_scene url="#test02.max"/>
</scene>
</COLLADA>

How can I set the name and id of the visual_scene tag myself? Is there such an option in 3ds max 9?
I couldnt find it and our artists says there is no way to set it, but …uhm… i didnt believe him.
Is he right?

FIY: We also use ColladaMaya which sets the name to VisualSceneNode. Since we want to use the same asset pipeline for both programs the name should be the same.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Christian

COLLADA uses the id attributes to reference elements. The name attribute is simply user meta data.

There is no requirement in the specification for id and name to match for any purpose.

Your asset pipeline should be designed to use URI and URI fragments (e.g. “#test02.max”) to identify COLLADA .dae documents and element assets.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for your answer, Marcus!

Unfortunately, we are using a game engine which provided most of the asset tools including the exporter and we dont have the resources to rewrite -much less redesign- it.
I also posted in the game engine forums, maybe I havent found the correct functions.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

There is in fact a function to retrieve the root node by type rather than by name/id.
Thank you for your help. :smiley: