How to recreate a Collada file?

I am modifying Amnesia Content. A collada file I want to edit - replace the character with my own and re-rig it and export again - makes the game editor crash. But only when a bones-system is applied, without it using opencollada under maya 2011 or max 7 works.

The original file starts like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<COLLADA xmlns="http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema" version="1.4.1">
  <asset>
    <contributor>
      <author>Marcus Johansson</author>
      <authoring_tool>Maya8.5 | ColladaMaya v3.05B</authoring_tool>
      <comments>ColladaMaya export options: bakeTransforms=0;exportPolygonMeshes=1;bakeLighting=0;isSampling=1;
curveConstrainSampling=1;removeStaticCurves=1;exportCameraAsLookat=0;
exportLights=1;exportCameras=1;exportJointsAndSkin=1;
exportAnimations=0;exportTriangles=1;exportInvisibleNodes=0;
exportNormals=1;exportTexCoords=1;
exportVertexColors=1;exportVertexColorsAnimation=0;exportTangents=0;
exportTexTangents=0;exportConstraints=1;exportPhysics=1;exportXRefs=1;
dereferenceXRefs=0;cameraXFov=0;cameraYFov=1</comments>
      <source_data>file:///E:/Projects/3d/work/amnesia%20game/arbetsmapp/</source_data>
    </contributor>
    <created>2010-03-26T12:17:34Z</created>
    <modified>2010-03-26T12:17:41Z</modified>
    <unit meter="1" name="meter"/>
    <up_axis>Y_UP</up_axis>
  </asset>

I need to “recreate” this file. Meaning replacing the character realigning the bones but ultimately not changing anything else.

Which program do you recommend? Which workflow do you recommend?

Push

The source data came from Maya 8.5 so start with that. Load up the original file, make your changes, and export a new .dae document.

Other: Import the .dae document into your favorite modeler, make the changes and reexport.

By Hand: Open the .dae document in a text editor, replace the instance_geometry and/or instance_controller url to reference your own character geometry. If it’s a close fit to the existing character that will get you a long way. Adjust the node hierarchy, that acts as the skeleton, as needed to fit your character.