Setting Up Collada DOM

I have looked at http://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/ … Setting_up for instructions concerning how to set up Collada DOM so that I can begin using it to write a converter for DirectX. The problem is that, honestly, the instructions there confuse me. I tried 2.3 and 2.2 but… I have yet to have any luck. Any searches concerning this topic via Google… yield obscenely poor results as well.

If I could have someone explain how to set up Collada DOM so that I may use it in Visual Studio 2010 (if possible, and if they can’t explain 2010 then please explain it for 2008) on Windows 7 then I would greatly appreciate it.

Would much rather use Collada DOM due to the decent number of tutorials regarding it (other then setting it up) rather then something like TinyXML to read .dae files if possible.

Bump. Seems this area is mostly inactive. Hopefully someone can offer some information though.

i’ve been using the cmake configuration files to generate visual studio files since collada-dom 2.3 and it has been working great.

How do you use the cmake configuration file? I also have problems setting up the DOM…
Keep getting Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results.

Cheers!

what OS are you using?

Windows 7 64-bit

what compilers do you have installed?

Visual studio 2010… well i solved some problems but apperently i have issues with the boost lib. I allready have boost 1_50 and it causes issues even though i link them to the compiler and ignore the one that is delivered with collada dom. Also builden with NO_BOOST doesn’t work… daeZAE file goes crazy… i also don’t know why it shouldn’t be possible to build without boost and i don’t want to run in some trouble later on because of that.
Thx in advance :wink:

I’ve build the Collada DOM lib without Boost as an test and it succeeded…
Forgot to add NO_ZAE…
But I’m wondering why Collada DOM is using boost and for what functions? Because if they add NO_BOOST def that means it isn’t really necessary… Or am I wrong?
Thx

just curious, is this using the cmake build or the visual studio files that already come with the sources?

I build it using the visual studios files that come with the sources.

I found this:
The Boost filesystem library is used in the DOM automated tests and in the DOM itself to handle temporary files created for ZAE archives (since SVN revison 637). The DOM ships with Boost 1.35. Starting with Boost 1.35 the Filesystem library depends on the System library, so the DOM also needs Boost System.

So I guess .zae files aren’t that important for loading info in the engine…
And automated tests aren’t important too I guess?

Cheers

Still have one question… a bit off topic here…

I’ve read I’ll need to deindex my models before getting them in DirectX. I’ve heard about the Collada Refinery to do that. But again, I’m having problems “installing” it.
I’ve found this thread: https://collada.org/public_forum/viewto … ?f=3&t=807
explaining some stuff… but 2 things I don’t understand about this sentence
:- Make sure JDK_HOME is set correctly (which should’ve been done automatically if you ran the installer).

1. how can I change my JDK_HOME or check if it is ok and where?
  2. which should’ve been done automatically if you ran the installer –> is there an installer?

Or are there other ways of deindexing models

Cheers

1. zae files are just zipped versions of dae files. you don’t necessarily need them.

2. you don’t need automated tests

3. search for “system environment variables” in your windows 7 help files. when you find it, one of the variables present would be “PATH”

FYI, after installing boost 1.44 multithreaded dll libraries, i was able to successfully compile collada-dom 2.4.0 from the cmake configuration files using visual studio 2010.

Interesting… and how do you use the cmake file because i’ve used it before.
About the refinery, i’ll check it out later on because I’ll be traveling for some days now. But checking the JDK_HOME should do the trick you think? If you don’t mind would you also check it out and if it works describe me how you did it?

Thx in advance and for all the help!

1. run cmake
  2. specify the source directory where collada-dom root CMakeListst.txt is
  3. specify the build directory (anything but the root source dir)
  4. click on Configure and specify the Visual Studio 10 compiler
  5. click on Generate
  6. Inside the build directory you should see a *.sln file, open it and compile

unfortunately i’m not familiar with the refinery stuff

Again the cmake has problems with boost :s

Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)
CMake Error at C:/Programs/cmake-2.8.8-win32-x86/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindBoost.cmake:1200 (message):
Unable to find the requested Boost libraries.

Unable to find the Boost header files. Please set BOOST_ROOT to the root
directory containing Boost or BOOST_INCLUDEDIR to the directory containing
Boost’s headers.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:154 (find_package)

i think that’s because you are using the latest and greated 1.50. if you use an older version like 1.44, there shouldn’t be problems.

Can installing multiple versions of boost create problems?
I’ll give it a shot with boost 1.44