Anyone who manage to compile Collada-DOM Viewer for Windows?

I just tried getting it compiling for a few hours with VS 2008 - tried svn version and the 2.4 release, but so far no success (VS 2010 works even less, didn’t try mingw much yet as first try it automatically wanted to build for ps3).

I could figure out a few things…

• language extensions in VC 2008 project files are disabled - must be enabled to get Windows SDK headers compiling.
  • Probably because very old zlib is in externel-libs the following have to be changed in daeLIBXMLPlugin.cpp (or zlib/minizip updated):
    zlib_filefunc64_def -> zlib_filefunc_def
    fill_win32_filefunc64A -> fill_win32_filefunc
    zipOpen2_64 -> zipOpen2
    zipOpenNewFileInZip3_64 -> zipOpenNewFileInZip3 (also remove last parameter zip64)

Not so sure about that one (maybe not needed):
Cannot open source file: ‘…\src\dae\domAny.cpp’: No such file or directory

But then came the namespace troubles - and there are just too many to solve that quickly. Maybe I’m still missing something. I could figure out there’s a define COLLADA_DOM_USING_141 which I can set. And to get around the stupid get around stupid error C2871 in VS (a namespace with this name does not exist) I just defined a namespace for that in daeTypes.h when that define is used. But there’s still a few hundreds of ambiguous symbol warnings as the forward declarations all don’t care about the namespace - no idea right now how to get that working (except working on it a few hours and setting the namespace for each when the corresponding define is set).

So if anyone has a hint how to compile the viewer for Windows I would appreciate it. Or if someone has already a finished compiled version which works that would be nice as well.

I ran into the same problems. After trying to fix them, I ran into even more problems… clearly this wasn’t test compiled before the code & project files were committed.

I fell back to 2.2, which compiled just fine. Can’t say many good things about Collada-DOM though… I’ve been trying to load many samples to the viewer and there always seems to be problems. Many of the stock examples utilizing CG shaders don’t work and actually crash the viewer, they’re actually CgFX shaders and just before the code line where their load is attempted, it says:

// this needs cg files, not cgfx

Way to go with the examples…

I’m getting frustrated with DOM. I don’t see a proper asset pipeline that would produce working consistent results. I don’t see any tutorial or article anywhere that would take me from working with a 3D package, with shaders, to exporting it into Collada and finally into the viewer successfully, without errors or problems that need to be fixed by hand. DOM looks lovely on paper but when you get your hands dirty you realize it isn’t nearly as rosy as they make you believe.

I’ll have to continue to express my frustration…

I took the time to convert the OpenCollada MAX plugin for MAX 2013 x64. I should have actually checked out how useless the plugin was before even bothering. If this is the vision of Khronos group on how importers and exporters work, I’m out of here. I’d imagine OpenCollada is supposed to be the “official” importer/exporter but it completely lacks import settings, is unable to import just about anything correctly and is out of date. Examples imported from Collada-DOM are imported wrong, materials are imported wrong, it’s a mess.

I made the mistake of looking at Collada-DOM and seeing a API, able to read complex information like animations and shaders. Unfortunately it’s good for nothing, as there is no proper toolchain for import/export proper collada data for the API to use. Then there’s FCollada, OpenCollada, Collada-DOM… I don’t even know what is what anymore, what a mess! Everything seems outdated too, plugins don’t exist for the latest versions of major 3D packages.

Too much time wasted on Collada, I’ll steer clear of this mess from now on.

I met the same trubles,are you successfull at last?