Vulkan Book

Hi everyone!

Does someone know when the first book about Vulkan will be published?

I want to read something like “The OpenGL Superbible” but about Vulkan, maybe there will be something like “The Vulkan Superbible” soon.

I have a feeling you’ll be waiting a while - the API isn’t finished yet, and it’ll take some time to write such a book once the API is actually done.

YES, Very Sadly, we will probably have to wait a year’s time (or even more) till a good book on Vulkan will be published.

I guess in that time I will have to learn other low level technologies such as DX12 or Metal (for which books will be published relatively soon) so that I’ll be ready to pickup the first Vulkan book that will be published more easily.

Books on Metal aren’t going to be very useful to you, due to the significant differences between Metal and Vulkan/D3D12. Particularly important is dealing with memory tracking.

Thanks for the tip.

[QUOTE=MathNerd;39488]Hi everyone!

Does someone know when the first book about Vulkan will be published?

I want to read something like “The OpenGL Superbible” but about Vulkan, maybe there will be something like “The Vulkan Superbible” soon.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
if you have already graphics api programming experience I suggest you to try to read the Vulkan specs itself, when available.
I read the GL4.5 specs recently and I was surprised how they are easy to read and much like a book with progressive introduction to each concept.
Specs from Khronos are very user friendly actually.

If you want to learn Metal and already know some OpenGL/DirectX, you don’t need a book. The API is very straightforward and minimalistic, so just looking at the programming guide and the headers (or reference manuals) is more then enough. Vulkan is a more complex API however, so some additional help might not be a bad idea. Even though, if you are competent with manual memory management and have good knowledge of OpenGL/DX/Metal, diving into Vulkan should be also quite straightforward. The only real difficulty I see with Vulkan is that it introduces some conceptually new devices, like descriptor sets, which might need some time for one to wrap around their head (but even then, its not so complicated).

Here’s the book with the wrong cover I guess? Note the OpenGL in lego! :smiley:

However I would like to see a downloadable working SDK with specifications before any books.

@gloptus,
Thanks a lot. It seems great that soon a Vulkan book will be published (August 2016).