Suggestion for MSc Thesis Topic related to OpenCL on Intel Xeon Phi acceleration

Hello,

I am currently a masters student on an embedded systems degree with specialization on HPC.

I started my thesis a month ago on accelerating a computational finance model with OpenCL on Intel Xeon Phi. But unfortunately the nature of the model doesnt allow in depth analysis as it is quite straight forward.

Therefore, as I need to deliver a piece of more in depth research I am trying to found an extension of the current baseline to towards other routes.
One of my ideas is to generalize the main features of this model and create a portable OpenCL framework for computational models following the same patters. But still all my ideas are fuzzy or simplistic.

I would really appreciate some suggestions or some ideas for brainstorming.

You probably can optimize the model itself. Try different memory access patterns and data layouts, including custom bandwidth compression techniques, ways to mitigate or hide transfer and kernel launch latencies. Seems reasonable to me.

Hi, congrats on your interest in using OpenCL for your MSc!

I’m a bit confused when you mention models, are you talking about the computational finance model, or the OpenCL models themselves?

There are lots and lots of interesting areas of OpenCL that can use some research, why don’t you provide a bit more information and we’ll see what we can come up with?

AJ

[QUOTE=mikepapadim;39889]Hello,

I am currently a masters student on an embedded systems degree with specialization on HPC.

I started my thesis a month ago on accelerating a computational finance model with OpenCL on Intel Xeon Phi. But unfortunately the nature of the model doesnt allow in depth analysis as it is quite straight forward.

Therefore, as I need to deliver a piece of more in depth research I am trying to found an extension of the current baseline to towards other routes.
One of my ideas is to generalize the main features of this model and create a portable OpenCL framework for computational models following the same patters. But still all my ideas are fuzzy or simplistic.

I would really appreciate some suggestions or some ideas for brainstorming.[/QUOTE]