using integrated Intel Iris Pro Graphics GPU + NVIDIA GPU with OpenCL on same laptop

Hi,

I have an ASUS ROG laptop which has the Intel i7-4860HQ (4th Gen) quad-core w/ integrated Iris Pro Graphics 5200 GPU (Gen7.5),
and an NVIDIA 980M GeForce GTX mobile GPU.

I believe the Iris Pro 5200 only supports OpenCL 1.2 and the 980M supports OpenCL 1.1 (or partial 1.2?)

Is it possible to use both devices on my system simultaneously with OpenCL?
Currently my Win10 is only recognizing the NVIDIA GPU in Device Manager,
only the NVIDIA 980M shows up under “Display Adapters” section, and if I remove it and reboot it re-auto-detects this only.

How can I get my Win10 OS to recognize and use the Iris Pro 5200 GPU, and could I create OpenCL devices for both GPU in same Context?
Thanks, Colin

This looks like an NVidia Optimus setup. If it is, here is what I can tell you:

• Modern NVidia drivers and hardware fully support OpenCL 1.2 since last year.
  • Your specific Intel GPU does indeed only support OpenCL 1.2, even though the Intel OpenCL stack can support 2.0+ if you’re on Windows and use recent hardware.
  • You cannot use both GPUs at the same time, at least not easily. Optimus is designed so that only one GPU is visible at a time to applications, most likely to avoid confusing code which isn’t multi GPU aware. However, what you can do is run a given application using either the NVidia or Intel GPU. This can be done permanently in the NVidia driver control panel, or temporarily using some right click + keyboard modifier key magic which I have forgotten.

Thanks for the comments @HadrienG.

So, as best as I can tell, this ASUS ROG G751JY-DH72X does not have NVIDIA OPTIMUS technology support.

I have still not been able to get Windows 10 to acknowledge the existence of the Intel IGP, although pretty sure it’s sitting in there! Anyone have another idea??

When I right click on desktop, I see the NVIDIA Control Panel, and it shows only the GeForce GTX 980M (Driver version 372.70).
Similarly, in Device Manager, under Display Adapters, only NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M present.
No sign of the Intel IGP (Iris Pro Graphics 5200 GPU (Gen7.5)), although under Processors I do see the 8 x Intel Core i7-4860HQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz…

Another thing you may want to try is to look at your computer’s BIOS settings and see if there is a way to enable/disable the integrated GPU. If the laptop does not support Optimus, Asus may have decided to hide the presence of the IGP in order to avoid confusing the host OS. Another common scheme is to have the BIOS pick a GPU using some priority scheme and hide the others, as in this video : Disable Integrated Onboard Gaphics Card - YouTube .

Sorry, I did not understand your question.