Dividing by any number in kernel returns zero

I’m having a strange and frustrating problem.

The following code in OpenCL (running on GPU Intel 5500)

int col = get_global_id(0);
float cx; 
cx = ((float)col)/((float)2.0f);

return zero.

if I substitute the last line with this one:

cx = ((float)col)*0.5f);

everything works fine.

Any division I tried keeps returning zero. Multiplications work just fine …

Am I missing something? Is there a setting I missed or some what to figure out if there’s an error that I am not seeing?

I’ve been banging my head against this for the whole night. I searched but I didn’t find anyone else that is experiencing this problem (let alone find a hint of a solution).

Everything compiles fine and I don’t see any runtime errors. Here’s some system stats (in case it helps):

Using platform:

Intel® OpenCL.

Using device:
Intel® HD Graphics 5500.
With Max Compute Units: 24
With Max WG sizes: 256
With Max WI sizes: 256
With Max num sub groups: 256
With Max WI dimensions: 3

This is the full kernel code just in case:

void kernel mainCL(global const uint* dimbuf, global const float* inBuf, global float* outBuf) {
    int row = get_global_id(1);
    int col = get_global_id(0);
    int grow = get_group_id(1);
    int gcol = get_group_id(0);

uint width = dimbuf[0];
    uint height = dimbuf[1];

float cx; float cy; 
    cx = ((float)col)/2.0f;
    cy = ((float)row)/2.0f;

outBuf[row*width + col] =cx + cy;
}

The code above does not work. it produces a matrix of all zeros.

again, if I replace the 2 lines of assignment to cx and cy with the following:

cx = ((float)col)*0.5f;
cy = ((float)row)*0.5f;

it works just fine and returns what I would expect to the host

It’s not that I am getting the wrong number as a result of a division. I am getting zero as a result of any division (I tried dividing by numbers other than 2.0f and it still returns a matrix of zeros).

That’s just the kernel code by the way … if you want I can post the host code (it’s just a bit long … which is why I didn’t post it) but I don’t think that’s the problem since as long as I don’t perform any divisions inside the kernel, I get the results I expect.

Thanks!

Looks like a strange issue…

cx = ((float)col)/((float)2.0f);

might be the problem.

float cy = col/2.0f;

should work fine!

I wanted to apologize for the delay in responding. I have been pulled into another project and I had to put this on hold. Then when I picked this back up and started playing with the code a bit more I realized the Open CL code was behaving erratically. In essence this boiled down to the fact that the parser that was loading the text file containing the Open CL code was causing an error without reporting it on lines that contained the character ‘/’.

This caused lines of code containing the division symbol to be ignored. The parser is fixed and the code is now working.

Sorry for the delay in providing clarification … and thank you for your reply!