Thread: I can not get vulkan to work with mesa drivers

I can not get vulkan to work with mesa drivers

Sorry for my newbie question, but I don't know where else to ask. I have tried several other forums, but here is my problem.

I have an amd radeon r9 390 gpu. Using Ubuntu 16.04 - kernel: 4.14.6-041406-generic

I am using oibaf's ppa https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...aphics-drivers

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Gives the following output:

Code :
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.6-041406-generic, LLVM 5.0.1)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.4.0-devel
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.4.0-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.4.0-devel
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    X server version: X.Org X Server 1.18.4

I followed the installation guide at https://vulkan.lunarg.com/doc/sdk/1....g_started.html

When I run type "vulkaninfo" I get the following output:

Code :
    Vulkan API Version: 1.0.65

Instance Extensions:
    ====================
    Instance Extensions count = 10
        VK_KHR_external_fence_capabilities  : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_external_memory_capabilities : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_external_semaphore_capabilities: extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2: extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2    : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_surface                      : extension revision 25
        VK_KHR_wayland_surface              : extension revision  6
        VK_KHR_xcb_surface                  : extension revision  6
        VK_KHR_xlib_surface                 : extension revision  6
        VK_EXT_debug_report                 : extension revision  8
    /tmp/SDK-DEV/Build/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers/demos/vulkaninfo.c:1670: failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I previously had vulkan working with amd-gpu-pro driver. But I decided to try this oibaf's ppa for playing World of Warcraft with better performance. Any suggestions to what my problem is, or to further troubleshooting the problem?

This usually happens when the kernel has two drivers and chooses to use the legacy (radeon) one.
    But Vulkan RADV implementation needs amdgpu driver.
    Try this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...CIK.29_support

PS: If you are not a developer, you should not need the SDK at all. The vulkan-utils package already contains vulkaninfo.
    Last edited by krOoze; 12-29-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by radhakarthi View Post
    Thank you, admin! Nice Information was shared. The same thing has happened to me, now I am clear.
    I am not admin, just community. But you are welcome all the same.
    Last edited by khronos; 01-08-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Remove bad links from signature

Ok, so I should be able to run vulkan with just installing package mesa-vulkan-drivers? And also where is it that I need to specify the kernel to use amdgpu driver. I have triede blacklisting the "radeon". But doesn't help me at all.

I have tried uninstalling the SDK, and now vulkaninfo gives me this:

Vulkan API Version: 1.0.42

INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /home/simon/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/steamoverlay_i386.json, version "1.0.0"
    INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /home/simon/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/steamoverlay_x86_64.json, version "1.0.0"
    INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found ICD manifest file /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json, version "1.0.0"
    INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found ICD manifest file /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/intel_icd.x86_64.json, version "1.0.0"

Instance Extensions:
    ====================
    Instance Extensions count = 6
    VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2: extension revision 1
    VK_KHR_surface : extension revision 25
    VK_KHR_wayland_surface : extension revision 6
    VK_KHR_xcb_surface : extension revision 6
    VK_KHR_xlib_surface : extension revision 6
    VK_EXT_debug_report : extension revision 8
    /build/vulkan-IbLrZR/vulkan-1.0.42.0+dfsg1/demos/vulkaninfo.c:1523: failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Quote Originally Posted by legolasdk View Post
    Ok, so I should be able to run vulkan with just installing package mesa-vulkan-drivers?
    Yup, it should be part of the official repo, or newer versions at the oibaf's or padoka's ppa. You still need to go through that kernel parameter nonsense if you have a SI or CI card (as you do).

Quote Originally Posted by legolasdk View Post
    And also where is it that I need to specify the kernel to use amdgpu driver. I have triede blacklisting the "radeon". But doesn't help me at all.
    It should be sufficient to just add the amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 parameters to the kernel. So even if radeon driver has the first dibs on the GPU it should refuse it and let amdgpu have it, and so no blacklisting or priority reordering should be necessary. It should show in dmesg which won.

Adding kernel parameters can be dependent on distro. Try this guide for Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters

Seems that my R9 390 card is not supporting amdgpu, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMDGPU-Driver

So I have removed all blacklisting of radeon. And now I am still getting the same error:

===========
    VULKAN INFO
    ===========

Vulkan API Version: 1.0.42

INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /home/simon/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/steamoverlay_i386.json, version "1.0.0"
    INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /home/simon/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/steamoverlay_x86_64.json, version "1.0.0"
    INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found ICD manifest file /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json, version "1.0.0"
    INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found ICD manifest file /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/intel_icd.x86_64.json, version "1.0.0"

Instance Extensions:
    ====================
    Instance Extensions count = 6
    VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2: extension revision 1
    VK_KHR_surface : extension revision 25
    VK_KHR_wayland_surface : extension revision 6
    VK_KHR_xcb_surface : extension revision 6
    VK_KHR_xlib_surface : extension revision 6
    VK_EXT_debug_report : extension revision 9
    /build/vulkan-IbLrZR/vulkan-1.0.42.0+dfsg1/demos/vulkaninfo.c:1523: failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

The article is half year old.
    My card is not there either, but "works". Reason is probably the kernel parameters, which signify that it is a unstable\testing feature.
    I think all GCN should work.