Validation layers (targetting MoltenVK)

I can download the validation layers in the Vulkan SDK release for macOS but I don’t see their source code (yet). I’m interested in compiling them from source so that I can port my custom layers to macOS. I am guessing that preparing the LoaderAndValidationLayers code for release is non-trivial. Still, just asking: can we please get something to look at?

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers/commits/macos

The macos branch has some validation changes. It doesn’t build on macOS though. But thanks for pointing me where to look!

The macos branch should build. You probably did not run update_external_sources.sh. If you can try it again and it doesn’t work, I’d like to hear more about that.

We’re in the process of merging the macOS support back to the master branch in KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers via a pull request from this macos branch. The PR should include documentation such as building instructions.

Including sources for the layers in the SDK is something we can do. It is a bit difficult because a lot of the code is generated. But I think the other SDKs do it, and it is just a matter of priority as to when we do it for the MacOS SDK. Given that the sources are in the KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers repo, how urgent is it to have them in the SDK? And how would you like them packaged? In a separate Xcode project package?

It turns out I checked out the wrong commit.

Thanks, this helped a lot!

No, don’t do this.

I’m happy to get the source from github. I was noticing that the SDK includes validation layers, so I knew it was around somewhere… I just had trouble tracking it down.