Thread: Variable vertex count

Question Variable vertex count

Hi, Iím trying to adapt Googleís spinning cube.cpp to use drawIndirect instead of draw, so I can specify a variable number of triangles each frame.

Mirroring the uniform buffer code, Iíve:

• Added a Buffer and DeviceMemory to SwapchainImageResources for the indirect draw params.
    • Created a struct to represent VkDrawIndirectCommand containing four unsigned shorts.
    • Mirrored prepare_cube_data_buffers, using eIndirectBuffer instead of eUniformBuffer.
    • Mirrored update_data_buffer to set the draw params data.
      • vertex_count = 12 * 3, instance_count = 1

• Replaced the call to draw with
      • commandBuffer.drawIndirect(mSwapchainImageResource s[mCurrentImageIndex].draw_params_buffer, 0, 1, 0);

I havenít mirrored prepare_descriptor_set, because I donít think the shader needs access (assuming thatís what itís for).

The problem is, when I switch from calling draw to drawIndirect, nothing gets drawn. I see no error messages, although Iím not entirely sure where to look. Iíve included --validate in the debug params and checked the code goes into the VK_LAYER_LUNARG_standard_validation bit, but Iím not sure how to tell if itís detecting a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Iíve spent a long time struggling to find useful resources on this specific use case. This is for a planetary terrain hobby project, evolved from this old terrain project, which I hope to use in a game.

Oh I'm so sorry to have wasted anyone's time, I didn't need to make a struct to represent VkDrawIndirectCommand and in my embarassing C++ rustiness I shouldn't have used shorts, but ints!
    It's drawing now.