OpenGL SC2.0 references pages and differences from OpenGL ES2.0

Hello,

For using OpenGL SC2.0 i want to see the reference pages for this standard or at least the difference between OpenGL ES2.0.
But the only thing i found is the spec document itself.
Please help me to understand where can i find it.

Thanks ahead.

Hi Smaximz

There is not a ‘reference’ or ‘difference’ document with OpenGL 2.0 SC with regards to OpenGL ES2.0. This was a deliberate choice so a person would not have to use two documents. There is quick reference card PDF here Reference Guides - The Khronos Group Inc. No reference pages.

[QUOTE=codeplayillya;43696]Hi Smaximz

There is not a ‘reference’ or ‘difference’ document with OpenGL 2.0 SC with regards to OpenGL ES2.0. This was a deliberate choice so a person would not have to use two documents. There is quick reference card PDF here Reference Guides - The Khronos Group Inc. No reference pages.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the asnwer.
Can you tell me please how do you now that it was a deliberate choise?
And what were the thoughts?
Because we can see, that for other standards like Vulkan, OpenCL and etc. there are still reference pages.

If i have a written code that uses OpenGL ES2.0 and i need to evoluate the effort to poring the use to OpenGL SC2.0, i cannot do it without the ‘difference’ list like i can do it for other versions.

[QUOTE=smaximz;43697]Thanks for the asnwer.
Can you tell me please how do you now that it was a deliberate choise?
And what were the thoughts?
Because we can see, that for other standards like Vulkan, OpenCL and etc. there are still reference pages.

If i have a written code that uses OpenGL ES2.0 and i need to evoluate the effort to poring the use to OpenGL SC2.0, i cannot do it without the ‘difference’ list like i can do it for other versions.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat. I’d like to implement something on Linux before moving development to an RTOS. To do so, I am using OpenGL ES 2.0 with the robustness flags enabled. However, there are some stark differences between the two APIs. For example, SC has TexStorage2D and ES does not.

Maybe there is a more practical way to determine the differences?

I’ve found a pretty good summary from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10586-017-1111-1 :

OpenGL SC 2.0 has many differences from the original OpenGL ES 2.0. Some of the technically important changes can be listed as follows:

[ul]
[li]data delete operations are removed: most delete operations on the various resources including buffer, shader, texture and framebuffer objects are removed. Thus, it minimized the potential risks due to the dynamic memory management.
[/li]
[li]more errors: some new error conditions of invalid framebuffer operation and context lost are added.
[/li]
[li]fixed-point real numbers only for limited cases: Although OpenGL ES uses fixed-point real numbers as one of its important data types, OpenGL SC 2.0 uses them only in very restricted cases.
[/li]
[li]pixel formats changed: the luminance-alpha format is removed, while red-only, red-green, and red-green-blue pixel formats are added.
[/li]
[li]texture format simplified: the cube map texture formats are removed, since it is very rarely used in avionics data.
[/li]
[li]shader features simplified: through using binary shaders, a set of shader-related operations are removed.
[/li][/ul]

Additionally, OpenGL SC 2.0 shading language was changed from the original OpenGL ES 2.0 shading language, as follows:

[ul]
[li]limited flow control: OpenGL SC shading language only allows forward branching.
[/li]
[li]limited iterations: only counter-based iterations are allowed.
[/li]
[li]limited indexing: indices for vectors, matrices, and arrays are restricted to constants and/or limited expressions.
[/li]
[li]explicit limits on the maximum executable file size, the maximum number of variables, and others.
[/li][/ul]

Thanks.
Sorry that Khronos totaly ignores us.

I am sorry to hear that you feel Khronos is ignoring you. In the forums defence, there are community forums, for community posts. The working groups do try to look in and post when they can. It just so happens for the past few weeks the working groups have been extra busy.

The main differences I think are robustnessBufferAccess and GPU reset control, which are the core Spec in GLSC but extension in GLES.