Trying to use EGL on VM without GPU? Is this possible?

Hi,

I am trying to create an application that can be run headless in the cloud. I have successfully been able to render headless on my laptop but when I transfer my code to an instance on digitalocean, the default display is created but there are no configurations available so initialization fails. I don’t really understand why it fails and I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me if what I am trying to do is wrong with EGL or if it is necessary to have a GPU to initialize EGL?

-Josh

[QUOTE=jdowner;44005]Hi,

I am trying to create an application that can be run headless in the cloud. I have successfully been able to render headless on my laptop but when I transfer my code to an instance on digitalocean, the default display is created but there are no configurations available so initialization fails. I don’t really understand why it fails and I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me if what I am trying to do is wrong with EGL or if it is necessary to have a GPU to initialize EGL?

-Josh[/QUOTE]

Your application is linking to EGL and GL in your cloud environment? But EGL is reporting no configs? Its possible to have a simulated GPU/Driver in an environment. But if the environment is providing a library for EGL and GL, then I would expect that you get some functionality. Do you get any errors in response to a EGL or GL commands?