Vulkan Installation not working

Title says it all. Downloaded Vulkan 1.1.85.0 and double clicked cube.exe in BOTH Bin and Bin32, task manager briefly shows the cube.exe activating… and then merely a second later the word “Suspended” appears next to cube.exe. Moments later cube.exe disappears from task manager for good. In essence cube.exe is doing nothing when double clicked and activated. no screen, no error, nothing, just plain nothing. How do I solve this?

Firstly, the latest version ATMOW is 92.1.

Secondly, cube is relatively simple app. Anything goes wrong means terminate.

Try vulkaninfo (from console, or from Start menu). That should at least tell if you have any Vulkan capable driver installed.
Then try %VULKAN_SDK%\Bin\vkcube --validate from console. Should at least write some error…

C:\Users ay\Downloads\Eclipse\Tools\Vulkan\1.1.92.1>vulkaninfo

VULKANINFO

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.92

C:\Users ay\Downloads\Eclipse\Tools\Vulkan\1.1.92.1>vkcube

C:\Users ay\Downloads\Eclipse\Tools\Vulkan\1.1.92.1>

The above is seriously what Vulkan spits back every time vulkaninfo and vkcube are executed. Not even an error. Literally nothing. Just appears and then disappears. I’m already sick and tired of having Vulkan simply exit invisibly for the past 5 days and googling returns nothing that helps. I would be happier if it gave an error so I would at LEAST know what’s wrong in the first place…

Chill, this is definitely something weird. Probably bad crashing driver? In normal situations, indeed the app writes the problem it encountered.
What GPU and driver do you have?

You can try:

set VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_LUNARG_api_dump
vulkaninfo

That should tell us the last call that succeeded.

You can also try vkvia. It should output html report on your desktop.

Source for vulkaninfo is part of the SDK in Demos folder. Assuming you have Visual Studio, you can open the sln, select vulkaninfo as default project, build in Debug conf, and run in Debug mode. That should show the location of the crash, which I assume would be inside the ICD.

But essentially we probably will not figure nothing better than driver reinstall (or trying different driver version). Unless something surprising shows up.

[QUOTE=krOoze;44146]Chill, this is definitely something weird. Probably bad crashing driver? In normal situations, indeed the app writes the problem it encountered.
What GPU and driver do you have?

You can try:

set VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_LUNARG_api_dump
vulkaninfo

That should tell us the last call that succeeded.

You can also try vkvia. It should output html report on your desktop.

Source for vulkaninfo is part of the SDK in Demos folder. Assuming you have Visual Studio, you can open the sln, select vulkaninfo as default project, build in Debug conf, and run in Debug mode. That should show the location of the crash, which I assume would be inside the ICD.

But essentially we probably will not figure nothing better than driver reinstall (or trying different driver version). Unless something surprising shows up.[/QUOTE]

Hi, sorry about that, was just extremely frustrated about Vulkan not wanting to startup. I have also double clicked the VIA, and the html report is exactly like the vulkaninfo and vkcube, it sent me to a
completely blank webpage. I already have tried updating the drivers and even making sure they’re Vulkan friendly but still same thing happens. I find this very weird, when Vulkan encounters a PC that has zero support for it doesn’t it at least throw an error saying something like “No supported drivers”?

Edit: According to the splash text printed on my laptop it was manufactured with both an integrated GPU that is built into the Intel CPU that the PC has, while the dedicated GPU is an AMD Radeon (The splash text says Radeon Graphics)

I have a question though, can I configure Vulkan for Eclipse? I haven’t configured it for any IDE yet, as I’ve already gotten stuck with the problem mentioned above, but I want to know if I can on the off chance I do somehow get this working

I have also double clicked the VIA, and the html report is exactly like the vulkaninfo and vkcube

Right, I was hoping it is more robust (and runs stuff in separate process). Guess not…

when Vulkan encounters a PC that has zero support for it doesn’t it at least throw an error saying something like “No supported drivers”?

Indeed it normally does. This seems like a crash inside the driver (or Loader). Likely as soon as inside the vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices.

dedicated GPU is an AMD Radeon (The splash text says Radeon Graphics)

That’s deliciously vague. Maybe give me the laptop model id then.
I can imagine though some hybrid GPU solutions may cause problems.

Is there some control panel to handle the GPU switching or something?
Is the Intel also Vulkan capable?

I have a question though, can I configure Vulkan for Eclipse?

It seems to work for me from things like MinGW and Cygwin, so I would think so.
There’s not much to configure. There is just bunch of headers, and a lib. Assuming Eclipse can consume the lib (or at least the dll), it should work.

I’m not sure about the Intel as that is hardwired into CU control and it’s driver is stuck in read only firmware and does not support even viewing of it’s specs… Also wasn’t there an option to choose which GPU yo want?

What have they done?? :doh:
No, that can’t be true.
What’s the model designation of the laptop.

Well, that’s what I am asking. Depends on what switchable graphics solution this is.