OpenGL on a RivaTNT board?

I’ve been wrestling with this for a while…

I own an Asus V3400TNT - a RivaTNT-based board. The drivers suggest that it supports OpenGL, but I can’t seem to get it running with any OpenGL games (GLQuake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Thief, Half-Life, Starsiege Tribes…) I tried a clean installation of the most recent Detonator drivers, but that didn’t work either.

Suggestions?

• David J. Stein

I presume in each of the games you have chosen openGL under the graphics options? As for Quake 3, it would not install if there was no OGL support. Quake 1 is a bit messy, you need to download id’s GLQuake and then run GLQuake.exe. All I can suggest otherwise is that you be a bit more specific in your problems’ description, do the applications not run at all, do the run without hardware accelerations? Do the refuse to use OGL? Have you run GLSetup that comes with Quake 3?

The TNT does have full support for OpenGL, but don’t expect mind blowing performance in Quake 3 or UT, especially Unreal and UT which are both legendary for their poor non-Glide performance.

Also does D3D work?

I hope this is helpful, e-mail me with details at scameron@cs.uct.ac.za.

cheers,
jaZ

Originally posted by sfsdfd:
[b]I’ve been wrestling with this for a while…

I own an Asus V3400TNT - a RivaTNT-based board. The drivers suggest that it supports OpenGL, but I can’t seem to get it running with any OpenGL games (GLQuake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Thief, Half-Life, Starsiege Tribes…) I tried a clean installation of the most recent Detonator drivers, but that didn’t work either.

Suggestions?

• David J. Stein[/b]

50 frames per second @ 640x480, 32 bit color fast enough for you? The TNT’s will do quite well in Quake 3, not bad in UT, and pretty darn good in most older games, as long as it’s paired with a half-ways decent processor.

As for Unreal Tournament, you’ll want to use D3D anyway… Epic’s OpenGL support SUCKS.

The TNT should work beautifully w/ opengl. NVIDIA’s OpenGL drivers are some of the best for consumer level 3D boards. Have you had any other 3D boards in that particular system, particularily 3dfx boards?