Thread: GeForce256 problem

GeForce256 problem

I can't seem to get OpenGL to work on my new card (Asus GeForce DDR 256 v6800 Delux). I have the latest 3.75 drivers, the card works in Direct3D.

I try playing a game called Tribes and in the area where normally I would select OpenGL(Asus blah blah), my only option is OpenGL(Generic) which does not work. Also, I tried Soldier of Fortune and it gives me a windows error, page fault in 3dfxogl.dll (I used to have a 3dfx card)

What could some possible problems be with my games not finding OpenGL?
    Thanks.

Re: GeForce256 problem

Same problem with v6600 Deluxe SGRam and Tribes. It locks the system tight. I've used stock/beta drives from Asus and Nvidia without any luck. Software mode works, but looks horriable. I took out a TNT card for the newer technology. Hate to go back to that. System is Athalon system, Asus K7M, 256 megs memory, 300watt ps, and no support from Asus.

I have a 700mhz athelon gateway with geoforce card. I cannot play SOF DEMO. This is a new system. The game drags and lags and the sound is off. I really do not know what to do? I was going to by the full version, now I dont know. I emailed SOF, no replies.

Originally posted by Wick:
    I can't seem to get OpenGL to work on my new card (Asus GeForce DDR 256 v6800 Delux). I have the latest 3.75 drivers, the card works in Direct3D.

I try playing a game called Tribes and in the area where normally I would select OpenGL(Asus blah blah), my only option is OpenGL(Generic) which does not work. Also, I tried Soldier of Fortune and it gives me a windows error, page fault in 3dfxogl.dll (I used to have a 3dfx card)

What could some possible problems be with my games not finding OpenGL?
    Thanks.

i have a 700 athlon with 256 mb of pc-133 ram. i got this ****ty Asus geforce256 card and on quake 3 the graphics are so poor. I have another comp that has an ati rage 128 and it runs beautifully. If anyone knows what the problem is and how to fix it please reply!

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

You should all try the leaked detonator drivers from nVidia. You can find them at :
    http://www.reactorcritical.com/

For Windows 2000, the current *leaked* version is 5.17.
    For Windows 95/98, it is 5.22.
    For Windows NT 4.0, it is 5.18.
    For Windows CE, ... Hey, just kidding !

Please note that THESE DRIVERS ARE NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY NVIDIA. So don't bother writing to nVidia if you have problems with them !

BUT these drivers are constantly fixing problems (specially on Athlon-based systems).

On the Reactor Critical web site, you will also find a discussion forum (similar to this one) about driver issues. You should post your problem there (or just read the previous posts as your question might already have an answer !).

I hope this will help you.

Best regards.

Eric