Thread: 3d Graphing Program

Junior Member Newbie

3d Graphing Program

Hello, I'm trying to make a 3d graphing program, but I've ran into a little snag. I an't seem to fix one of the littler problems, the graphing itself. I have it set so a user can enter a formula, and if my math parser works, graph. The program gives an exact approximation of the vertices, and then puts garbage on my screen. I want to see a bunch of irregular tetragons, like on a Ti-89 calculator, but none of my quads are connected. Other than that, it forms the shape accurately enough. Eventually this will have polar, function, 3d-polar, parametric, and differential equations. I have riemann sums working well enough, but the actual graphs just sucks. I have (of course) x,y, and z coordinates in a large array, and would appreciate any help with with plotting code. Thanks!

Senior Member Regular Contributor

Re: 3d Graphing Program

Bill,

You won't get the answer you're looking for by posting in this manner. You need to pare down your problem-code to show just what's relevant here, and post that. You might also describe what a tetragon is (I've never heard of it anyway). Further, if you've got some web page space from your ISP, you might even post a link to a screenshot of what you're output looks like.

Good luck.

Junior Member Newbie

Re: 3d Graphing Program

Well, I figured out how to get all of the vertices into an array and to draw a good graph. It will graph with lines and irregular tetragons (A figure with four non-congruent sides.) Now I've encountered a new problems. The user can input the xmin, xmax, ymin... variables, the resolution of the grid, and a formula. I can get the window to size itself with glOrtho, but I can't seem to get that to work with other GL commands that rotate the graph so you can view it at an angle. When I use things like glRotatef, it appears to (eventually) become asymptotic to something, as it begins to go back and forth rapidly. As for actual code, all I need is someway to use glOrtho in conjunct with something like gluLookat or whatever. My mouse-rotate code is really messed up, but for now I'll assume I can fix that with OpenGL tutorials that I've seen. Thanks.