Level Editor for Lesson 10 and 23

Hi,

I’m looking for a simple level editor who works with NeHe’s lesson 10 and 23.
This level editor gives output file like this :

NUMPOLLIES : 4

0.0 1.0f 0.0
-1.0 -1.0f 1.0
1.0 -1.0f 1.0

0.0 1.0 0.0
1.0 -1.0 1.0
1.0 -1.0 -1.0

0.0 1.0 0.0
1.0 -1.0 -1.0
-1.0 -1.0 -1.0

0.0 1.0 0.0
-1.0 -1.0 -1.0
-1.0 -1.0 1.0

Someone has made a level editor who made output files like this ?
It would be cool if I can have a program.

Here’s my e-mail : dylan.leyder@ibelgique.com

Thanks in advance.

The only editor for that format that I know of actually comes with all recent releases of Windows. To find it, click on “start” then go to programs, then to accessories, and then click on “notepad”. Sorry, but it wouldn’t be too hard to write such an editor seeing as how the format is so simple.

when i was going over that tut i did the same thing try to write my own level. and yep i used notepad. tell u 1 thing it takes a long time.

but if u would like a copy of my level send me a mail ill send it to u.

too let u know its a simple room with a few objects in it such as a tourch and an obolisk

forgive spelling

zee

I am currently writing a level editor and the first versions will save as these formats (probably also in a format I made that is simialr but also stores face normals for collision detection). However develpoment time is slow, infact I haven’t done anything to it in weeks after I came across several problems( one of which was using fonts and was asked on this forum a few weeks ago and hasn’t been solved.)I see several problesm to overcome before a simple version is complete. first of all object picking/selection, organisation of data and saving of, good viewing split screen viewports, boolean operations (adding parts of cubes together etc) and several other things. You have inspired me to carry on programming it. As it stands there is a nice UT editor grid but more advanced and you can move about with the mouse. Viewports shouldn’t take more than a day or two to solve, next I will make it possible to add geometric primitives and then save them next will be object selection (hmm?).

Lack of level data is the problem I have now and have had for a few months. I didn’t have any software which I could make a level in and using half-life editor posed to many problems such as loading the level. So I am now making a landscape engine (it takes about half a minute to make a level!) I might have another look at half-life level structure as I now understand alot more of it and so ho[pefuly I will be able to load halflife levels into my editor and edit them and save them as a simple nehe lesson 23 format.

It’s possible to have the source code ?

Man, if you load Half-Life levels and try to render them using the same rendering technique as is in the NeHe example, your Half-Life level is going to be EXTREMELY slow! You’re going to have to write a BSP engine to walk through the geometry to render it and do collision detection. Otherwise, you can forget it.

Leyder the code doesn’t do much at the moment apart from what I said (you can look around, choose projection type, and have a grid drawn) If yuo want a piece of code for any of these things in particular you are welcome. Have a look at www.cfxweb.net/hosted/cornflakezone
It has tutorials and now code for a 3d modeling utility. It may be useful.

Punchey, I know it was slow, but I was only using my own small test levels (a cube or two). Although you may think a half-life level has too many polys to draw at one The number (about 20,000 I think) could easily be drawn on a geforce card or above with no BSP ( unfortunately I only have a TNT2 m64). My collision detection was slow but it was only my first collision detection, however it didn’t work well either. Next I will try a sphereical C.D algo with B.B and using an octree, maybe a BSP tree.

[This message has been edited by Tim Stirling (edited 03-01-2001).]

Yo, that’s my site: www.CornflakeZone.com If you’d like more up to date version of the code or explanation of the modeller, let me know,
fs