Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Need testers for BlackJack game

  1. #1
    Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Gastonia, NC, USA
    Posts
    2,068

    Need testers for BlackJack game

    Here is a simple Black Jack game I am working on... Yes needs some better graphics, but I need to check function of dealer vs. player.


    The file is under projects blackjack, source code is included in zip file.
    http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/linux/nexusone


    [This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-24-2002).]

  2. #2
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    446

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Here's what I noticed, running on a Radeon SDR 32 meg card, recent drivers, here in our test lab at work:

    - Lighting key 'L' doesn't do anything
    - Capslock must be on for key presses to be picked up == annoying
    - When a player (or dealer) gets Blackjack, the words over-write other text or cards so it is mostly illegible.
    - Some kind of score tracking would be a cool feature
    - Dealer AI seems rather believable
    - Time and date being displayed is a little distracting, perhaps if it were in the corner in small text it would be nicer. As it is now, it appears to be a central part of the game, which it really isn't.
    - cards scale kind of funnily when you resize window
    - after some unknown number of plays (maybe 30 or so?), the game just locked up and I had to end-task on it

    Hope that's the feedback you were looking for!

  3. #3
    Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Gastonia, NC, USA
    Posts
    2,068

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Yes,

    Draw back to using glutBitmaptext, size is the same no mater the view setting.

    I did not notice the lighting option had stopped working. But I found that I did not make any normals for the card quad.

    I have been moving the text around more.

    I will be adding lower case support.

    I have not touched my resize routine yet, though I think that maybe I should go to a textured maped fonts to make resize work correctly. Which will not work with current bitmap font, unless I there is something I don't know about them.

    Yes, I have had a few lockup's, thought that I had it fix. The program would get into a endless loop.


    Originally posted by yakuza:
    Here's what I noticed, running on a Radeon SDR 32 meg card, recent drivers, here in our test lab at work:

    - Lighting key 'L' doesn't do anything
    - Capslock must be on for key presses to be picked up == annoying
    - When a player (or dealer) gets Blackjack, the words over-write other text or cards so it is mostly illegible.
    - Some kind of score tracking would be a cool feature
    - Dealer AI seems rather believable
    - Time and date being displayed is a little distracting, perhaps if it were in the corner in small text it would be nicer. As it is now, it appears to be a central part of the game, which it really isn't.
    - cards scale kind of funnily when you resize window
    - after some unknown number of plays (maybe 30 or so?), the game just locked up and I had to end-task on it

    Hope that's the feedback you were looking for!


    [This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-24-2002).]

  4. #4
    Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Gastonia, NC, USA
    Posts
    2,068

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Note I have updated the black jack program.

    Now upper or lower case keys work.

    Text has been improved.

    Also fixed a crash problem.

    [This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-24-2002).]

  5. #5
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    446

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Hey, I just tried your updated version on my home PC. Couple issues I ran into:

    - lighting still doesn't seem to do anything (don't know if you fixed that in the updated one or not)
    - I placed a bet after a hand had finished, thinking it would apply to the next hand. It didn't, it just took my money.
    - Winner/Loser text overwrites my score
    - Dealers score is no longer calculated for the player (I imagine this was intentional?)
    - Got a weird bug where it was miscalculating my score. Here's a screenshot:
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/images/bjack1.jpg

    Last time I checked, 8 and 6 was 14.

    Hope that helps!

  6. #6
    Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Gastonia, NC, USA
    Posts
    2,068

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Yes, depending on the version of blackjack you do not see the dealers first card intil you ether bet or stand or hit...It would be easy after the first play to have the score of the dealer shown.

    Yes... I don't know why the hands sometimes don't count score right. I am looking into it.

    I still need to refine the game logic, no new bet after game has ended.
    And maybe clear table for new hand, bet then deal cards.

    Originally posted by yakuza:
    Hey, I just tried your updated version on my home PC. Couple issues I ran into:

    - lighting still doesn't seem to do anything (don't know if you fixed that in the updated one or not)
    - I placed a bet after a hand had finished, thinking it would apply to the next hand. It didn't, it just took my money.
    - Winner/Loser text overwrites my score
    - Dealers score is no longer calculated for the player (I imagine this was intentional?)
    - Got a weird bug where it was miscalculating my score. Here's a screenshot:
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/images/bjack1.jpg

    Last time I checked, 8 and 6 was 14.

    Hope that helps!


    [This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-25-2002).]

  7. #7
    Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Gastonia, NC, USA
    Posts
    2,068

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    I have updated my code
    Now can place bet's.
    Improved graphics, text layout.

    http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/linux/nexusone

    [This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-25-2002).]

  8. #8
    Senior Member Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    446

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Cool, the playability is much improved, in my opinion!

    One thing I noticed was that the word "Bust" overwrites the players score. Also, there's no way for the user to know what key to hit to start the game from the intro scene. I tried several keys before I found 'B' would start it, my guess is due to the initial state of the game.

    Hope that helps.

  9. #9
    Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Gastonia, NC, USA
    Posts
    2,068

    Re: Need testers for BlackJack game

    Thanks for trying out the program, I did add instructions to the opening screen to press 'B' to begin.

    I have to look at the text placement of bust.

    Originally posted by yakuza:
    Cool, the playability is much improved, in my opinion!

    One thing I noticed was that the word "Bust" overwrites the players score. Also, there's no way for the user to know what key to hit to start the game from the intro scene. I tried several keys before I found 'B' would start it, my guess is due to the initial state of the game.

    Hope that helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for testers for a OGL 3 Samples Pack
    By imported_Groovounet in forum OpenGL: Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 11:31 PM
  2. Looking for beta testers for new OpenGL software
    By Stefano de Carolis in forum OpenGL: Advanced Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
  3. Visual Shader Composer looking for testers
    By eirikhm in forum OpenGL: GLSL
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 08:24 AM
  4. Testers wanted ...
    By Humus in forum OpenGL: Advanced Coding
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-07-2000, 06:00 PM
  5. testers for OpenGL Demo wanted ...
    By Diapolo in forum OpenGL: Basic Coding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-05-2000, 02:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Proudly hosted by Digital Ocean