Need testers for BlackJack game

Here is a simple Black Jack game I am working on… Yes needs some better graphics, but I need to check function of dealer vs. player.

The file is under projects blackjack, source code is included in zip file.
http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/linux/nexusone

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-24-2002).]

Here’s what I noticed, running on a Radeon SDR 32 meg card, recent drivers, here in our test lab at work:

• Lighting key ‘L’ doesn’t do anything
  • Capslock must be on for key presses to be picked up == annoying
  • When a player (or dealer) gets Blackjack, the words over-write other text or cards so it is mostly illegible.
  • Some kind of score tracking would be a cool feature
  • Dealer AI seems rather believable
  • Time and date being displayed is a little distracting, perhaps if it were in the corner in small text it would be nicer. As it is now, it appears to be a central part of the game, which it really isn’t.
  • cards scale kind of funnily when you resize window
  • after some unknown number of plays (maybe 30 or so?), the game just locked up and I had to end-task on it

Hope that’s the feedback you were looking for!

Yes,

Draw back to using glutBitmaptext, size is the same no mater the view setting.

I did not notice the lighting option had stopped working. But I found that I did not make any normals for the card quad.

I have been moving the text around more.

I will be adding lower case support.

I have not touched my resize routine yet, though I think that maybe I should go to a textured maped fonts to make resize work correctly. Which will not work with current bitmap font, unless I there is something I don’t know about them.

Yes, I have had a few lockup’s, thought that I had it fix. The program would get into a endless loop.

Originally posted by yakuza:
[b]Here’s what I noticed, running on a Radeon SDR 32 meg card, recent drivers, here in our test lab at work:

• Lighting key ‘L’ doesn’t do anything
  • Capslock must be on for key presses to be picked up == annoying
  • When a player (or dealer) gets Blackjack, the words over-write other text or cards so it is mostly illegible.
  • Some kind of score tracking would be a cool feature
  • Dealer AI seems rather believable
  • Time and date being displayed is a little distracting, perhaps if it were in the corner in small text it would be nicer. As it is now, it appears to be a central part of the game, which it really isn’t.
  • cards scale kind of funnily when you resize window
  • after some unknown number of plays (maybe 30 or so?), the game just locked up and I had to end-task on it

Hope that’s the feedback you were looking for! [/b]

Note I have updated the black jack program.

Now upper or lower case keys work.

Text has been improved.

Also fixed a crash problem.

Hey, I just tried your updated version on my home PC. Couple issues I ran into:

• lighting still doesn’t seem to do anything (don’t know if you fixed that in the updated one or not)
  • I placed a bet after a hand had finished, thinking it would apply to the next hand. It didn’t, it just took my money.
  • Winner/Loser text overwrites my score
  • Dealers score is no longer calculated for the player (I imagine this was intentional?)
  • Got a weird bug where it was miscalculating my score. Here’s a screenshot:
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/images/bjack1.jpg

Last time I checked, 8 and 6 was 14.

Hope that helps!

Yes, depending on the version of blackjack you do not see the dealers first card intil you ether bet or stand or hit…It would be easy after the first play to have the score of the dealer shown.

Yes… I don’t know why the hands sometimes don’t count score right. I am looking into it.

I still need to refine the game logic, no new bet after game has ended.
And maybe clear table for new hand, bet then deal cards.

[b]Hey, I just tried your updated version on my home PC. Couple issues I ran into:

• lighting still doesn’t seem to do anything (don’t know if you fixed that in the updated one or not)
  • I placed a bet after a hand had finished, thinking it would apply to the next hand. It didn’t, it just took my money.
  • Winner/Loser text overwrites my score
  • Dealers score is no longer calculated for the player (I imagine this was intentional?)
  • Got a weird bug where it was miscalculating my score. Here’s a screenshot:
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/images/bjack1.jpg

Last time I checked, 8 and 6 was 14.

Hope that helps![/b]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-25-2002).]

I have updated my code
Now can place bet’s.
Improved graphics, text layout.

http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/linux/nexusone

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 10-25-2002).]

Cool, the playability is much improved, in my opinion!

One thing I noticed was that the word “Bust” overwrites the players score. Also, there’s no way for the user to know what key to hit to start the game from the intro scene. I tried several keys before I found ‘B’ would start it, my guess is due to the initial state of the game.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for trying out the program, I did add instructions to the opening screen to press ‘B’ to begin.

I have to look at the text placement of bust.

[b]Cool, the playability is much improved, in my opinion!

One thing I noticed was that the word “Bust” overwrites the players score. Also, there’s no way for the user to know what key to hit to start the game from the intro scene. I tried several keys before I found ‘B’ would start it, my guess is due to the initial state of the game.

Hope that helps.[/b]