Thread: PLEASE SUCH PEOPLE DONT REALLY LOVE INFO THEY ONLY LOVE TO BE.,..

Junior Member Newbie

PLEASE SUCH PEOPLE DONT REALLY LOVE INFO THEY ONLY LOVE TO BE.,..

Mad_Musician
    Contributor posted 07-13-2003 06:07 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi opengl people!! thank you fisrt of all for ur interess in my question.
    I will try to be more understandable.
    I have a cursor that i can move on a window of opengl. That cursor draw a red path along the way he "walk". My problem is that i want to make impossible for the "player" to move the cursor on a path segment he still "walked", like it was a wall. Now i m understanding i have to recognize where the wall is. My question is can i read from the colour of the pixel in the window if there is a wall or not. In few words i would like to read the colour of a pixel in the opengl window without save in a array each pixel i have drawn before. I know there is a buffer as the depth buffer from where u can read the information of a pixel with a function (i think glReadPixel but i didnt it before and the tutorials i did read are too difficult for me. If u were so gently to wrote me a little example that were beautifull!!!
    I would need something like
    colorofxypixel = glreadthecolorofxypixel
    but i dont know how to dooooo
    i use glut and opengl libraries i did study a little c and c++ but not win32 or such things like mfc and co...
    (my target were to program a little wolfied game because in that i have i cannot save my play....)
    So thank u all and good programming day!!
    byeeeeeee

rgpc
    Frequent Contributor posted 07-13-2003 07:29 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (a) This is a beginner question and not appropriate for this forum.
    (b) Do a search on the web for glReadPixel and you'll find all the information you need on how to use it.

Mad_Musician
    Contributor posted 07-14-2003 12:52 AM
    dear rgpcfogkals i have to learn something to you!
    In the past i have always thunk that beginners doesnt need very eccellent material or professors because they dont need 100% of precision, they are only beginners...
    But now that i ma a little older i can surely tell you that that was a wrong idea i had!
    If a beginner learn from a beginner and he does all the thing with 60-80% precision, after a couple of years it will be impossible for him to really return at the perfect methodology of work he wanted at the start from professionally professors. I simply dont want to get stupid habit. But now i did see wath for a technician are u....
    That is stupid you wirte to me an answer (i was so happy there was one...) in wich u tell me u are profi and i m only a ****... so uselessy... U are sure profi with opengl but please try to be more modest in your life!!!

Senior Member Regular Contributor

Re: PLEASE SUCH PEOPLE DONT REALLY LOVE INFO THEY ONLY LOVE TO BE.,..

Hi,Mad_musican.

People are all kinds in this world,so are they in this forum. I hope that you don't feel too bitter to something that make you a little upset.I find there are always people here are willing to help ( if your problem is not too hard to answer ) . Just ignore those who thought himself a VIP .Have a nice day.

[This message has been edited by RunningRabbit (edited 07-14-2003).]

Junior Member Newbie

now a little time is over and i have to say i feel better.... i excuse me and i thank you for ur answer!!
    U know i m still one that think everybody can help everybody others!
    Bye

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

We all try to help, but if we do not understand the question, it is hard to give a good answer.

I think trying to use readpixel it not the correct way to go about creating a path for you application, that is why no one has come up with a answer.

You need to look into using variables, this is a simple example:

0 = path
    1 = walked path
    2 = wall

// variable would look something like this
    int map[4][4] = {{2,1,2,2},{2,1,0,2),{2,1,1,1}, {2, 2, 2, 2}};

You check the player moving against the variables, player can only move in area's marked with a 0, once a play has been in an area it is changed to 1.

Is this sort of the idea you are looking for?

Junior Member Newbie

Nexusone is correct. Thanks for that answer, i was thinking about the same problem.

Junior Member Newbie

Hi all!!
    Nexus thanks for your asnwer that was a good idea wath u had! I will try in that way too but i would like to understand how i could read from the window a color of a pixel without saving it when i draw it... Bye thatnk you allll

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

the word "glReadPixles" has been mentioned some times in this thread, even you have written in the opening post. so i wonder WHY you do not use it, as a) you already seem to know the answer to your question and b) it is definitely exactly what you are looking for?