Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: faster

Senior Member Regular Contributor

faster

Hello,
    What is faster, copying the data from the framebuffer to the accumulation buffer, and then back to the framebuffer, or to use glReadPixels, and then use glCopyPixels to copy them back to the framebuffer?
    Thanx in advance,
    Hylke

Re: faster

"give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Implement both and see which one is faster.

Cheers,
    Peter

Senior Member OpenGL Pro k_szczech's Avatar

Nothing beats rendering to texture, so I suggest you to consider using Framebufer Object extension or simply glCopyTexSubImage function (FBO's will be faster).

Junior Member Newbie

i was told that on NVIDIA gpus, rendering to the framebuffer then copying into a texture was (curiously) the fastest way of achieving render to texture

the man who told me that based his statements on directx experiments but according to him, it should also be the case with opengl.

so, can someone please enlight me on this ??? on nvidia hardware, will FBO be faster than glCopyTexSubImage ??? does it also apply to ati ?

many thx,
    g.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

In my first experimental FBO application, I also observed that CopyTexSubImage was faster than rendering to an FBO. This was with the first FBO capable driver (on Linux, GFFX).

But with a later app, I could not reproduce the effect. I guess it heavily depends on how you use the FBO, how much you render to it and how often you switch FBO. My test application had only 4 spheres with cubemapping in the whole scene, but it did 24 passes to FBO and one onscreen pass per frame, so it was a bit of an extreme test case.

I guess the best way to find out is to implement both and try it out in your scene, I'm pretty sure depending on a lot of different factors both could potentially be faster.

Ok, thanks for the replies
    But how do I render those pixels back to the framebuffer? Just using glDrawPixels?
    Hylke

I've found that copying to a texture is still faster than rendering directly to a texture. From what I can tell, early Z (aka hierarchical Z... apparently they're the same thing) is not enabled for render to texture (rendering to a texture rectangle doesn't seem to have this limitation). My guess as to why is that the video card stores texture data swizzled (swizzled array, not a color swizzle) into a more cache friendly manner so a linear memory fetch can load a 2D region of a texture; that said, there is probably dedicated hardware to render to this swizzled format which has to disable the hierarchical Z stage. Note that this performance information was gathered from NVidia cards and may not pertain to ATI cards, or ATI may have different limitations entirely.

Kevin

Another point to consider:
    Antialiasing may not be available for rendering to the texture.

Member Newbie

Also, how do you render to the framebuffer aswell as a texture efficiently when not using copytex* (say you want to output to the framebuffer as per usual, but you also want to render to a texture)?

Member Newbie

I should probably get up to speed with FBOs (I've only skimmed over the spec) before asking such a question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast