Newbie Questions

I have recently been working on a new application using some opengl. I want the app to run on all windows systems from Win95 and up. I understand that only Win95 SR2 and up ship with microsoft’s implementation of opengl. But you can download an opengl installer for the original Win95. I am using VC6 to compile the opengl code. My concern is I want to limit my implementation to opengl v1.1 for best compatibility across the various windows systems.

Is this correct and how do I know that I am not using function calls that are implemented in v1.2? I’ve looked all over the place for info and couldn’t find an answer. MSDN doesn’t state the version numbers of the functions, etc. Can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks
dave

er… nevermind, just figured it out. Looked at gl.h and the version is 1.1.

Originally posted by solopido:
er… nevermind, just figured it out. Looked at gl.h and the version is 1.1.

Yes, the implementation for Windows is 1.1. Many video card vendors provide 1.3, but you have to explicitly load the functions beyond 1.1 as though they were extensions. So… to answer your question, you would most definitely have to know if a function was greater than 1.1 because you would have used wglGetProcAddress to load it.