Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie:What Mathematics background required

Junior Member Newbie

Newbie:What Mathematics background required

Hello. I want to start up openGL, but want to know what mathematics background is required for 3d graphics programming, and if there are any online mathematics books avaliable to read or download. Secondly as I live in a country where books on such material is not easily avaliable, therefore I would like to know if the red book is avaliable online, and where. Last of all I know c++ and java upto some extent,what depth in the language knowledge is required. I will be thankfull to you for this information.
    Only Human

Junior Member Newbie

Re: Newbie:What Mathematics background required

Depend of what you want to do.

for maths, goto www.flipcode.com

red book: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art...article993.asp
    Did you know that trekbbs use the same bbs engine???

Senior Member Regular Contributor

Hello,

First of all : if you don't like math, you won't have to do much, don't worry. The minimum is some basic acquaintance with geometry in space : if you know what are (x,y,z) coordinates,what's a rotation, and what's the cosinus/sinus of an angle, that's enough. You just have to know that OpenGL counts in degrees, that the standard library (with the sin and cos functions) counts in radians, and that the conversion ratio is 3.14159/180.0.
    Next, if you want to perform your own matrix transformations, you'll need a first year course in linear algebra and some acquaintance with projective geometry. But that's not necessary...

Best regards.

I would tend to disagree. I think basic linear algebra is almost a necessity for working with 3D graphics. It's probably true you don't need it but without it you will never truly understand what is happening. But then again, I think that you can never have enough knowledge, especially in maths. I do agree on the geometry point, and an overall knowledge of all areas of calculus can't hurt either. Throw in a smattering of mechanical physics and you should be ready to go!

Hope that helps.

Well you must be true : calculus is useful, and you have to make cross-products to calculate normal vectors. Then, things depend on what you want to do.
    I plan to program a game where you cruise nearly at the speed of light , and some knowledge in physics could be useful !

Originally posted by Morglum:
    I plan to program a game where you cruise nearly at the speed of light , and some knowledge in physics could be useful !
    So everythink will shrink getting near to the speed of light? And of course the higher mass... sounds interesting.

Junior Member Newbie

Well... in my opinion, the only you need to begin is basic spatial algebra (like in robotic kinematiks), matrix operations, and understand it well. I have some notes on this, but all in Spanish

But you must know that al the points are multiplied by one matrix that represents all the geometric transformations (rotate, scale, translate) and all the visualitzation transformations (that converts your 3D world to the 2D screen).

All the matrix are 4x4 in homogeneus coordinates (x y z w) where w is the homogeneus coordinate.

I OpenGL terms to everi point the matrix product is:

PROJECTION_MATRIX x MODELVIEW_MATRIX x POINT

And if you want to make real animation you must know some phisics (like inertial, forces and things like this).

I hope i answered u... but don't think I'm really bad teacher...

Lorien! :P

Member Contributor

hello,
    i don't really like maths exepted thoses wich are usefull for 3d programming or network error checking, or binary trees,splines etc.

maybe that's because it's less abstract when you have you can see the results of what the boring things that you have learn before when you don't really knew what it was usefull to.

Marsu-matrix

spidey

Originally posted by MarsuGL:
    hello,
    i don't really like maths exepted thoses wich are usefull for 3d programming or network error checking, or binary trees,splines etc.
    sorry to burst your bubble, but all math is useful for 3d programming. anything from combinatorics to linear algebra to calculus to discrete math to tensor theory and on and on is useful

if you want to be the guy pushing the graphics envelope, learn everything

if you want to just be another opengl coder in the crowd, just look around cause those people are a dime a dozen

Maths & Physics is good. The more you know, the better, ie,

Matrices,
    Vectors,
    Quaternions,
    Parametric Equations,
    Linear Algebra,
    Calculus,
    Particle Mechanics (Newtonian & Grandian Math),
    the list gets longer & longer........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast