Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fillrate Question

Member Newbie

Fillrate Question

Hi there,

I'm quite new to OpenGL and 3D Programming and can't explain what I lately discovered:

I set a 512x512 Texture and render about 10k triangles using this texture. Rendering is done with vertex arrays and multiple calls to flDrawElements. Each of that calls renders 8 triangles.

It' seems that fillrate on my GeForce 2 is the limeting factor. When I use a smaller texture (64*64) frame rates double from 50 fps to 100 fps. How can this be explained ?

I thought it doesn't matter what size a texture has as long as it fits into texture memory ? Is cache usage with a smaller texture so much better ?

Please give me a hint

Member Contributor

Re: Fillrate Question

Yes.

Senior Member Regular Contributor

Just a guess. Since OpenGL has to map texels to pixels, mapping more texels should take more time. Hence larger textures should be slower. Of course I'm no expert and could be wrong.

Member Newbie

I thought things would function like this: OpenGL tries to find the right color for every pixel on screen by looking up the nearest texels an doing so filtering afterwards. It shouldn't matter wether 4 texels (in case of bilinear filtering) are looked up in a smaller texture or in a bigger one.

[This message has been edited by muhkuh (edited 04-25-2002).]

If you specify GL_LINEAR, OpenGL must pick up all texels that map to the pixel. In the case of a larger texture you might get 2 - 4 times more texels mapping to 1 pixel, hence more work. Thus larger textures should be slower.

If you specify GL_NEAREST it should pick up only the texel closest to the the pixel. If it grabs the first texel it finds then I guess it should not matter. If it searches all texels that map to the pixels centre or something then its going to be slower for larger textures as it will have to search more texels per pixel. Check the specs to see which it is.

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

it always takes more time to find a pixel in a big texture, thats why we have mipmaps, then the gfxchip can select the right size of the image before looking up the pixels.

Member Newbie

Are you sure about this ? I thought GL_LINEAR would always take 4 texels and compute a weighted avarage, no matter how big the texture is.

Edit:
    Why should it take longer to find a texel in a larger texture ? It's just the same math going on. IMHO the reason for mip mapping is image quality.

Edit2: from the MSDN
    GL_LINEAR
    Returns the weighted average of the four texture elements that are closest to the center of the pixel being textured.

[This message has been edited by muhkuh (edited 04-25-2002).]

You are correct. In that case I'm at a loss. It may have something to do with whether the texture is resident in video memory or being pushed across the bus, but I know nothing of those matters.

strange...,AFAIK things might be a little slower w/ a larger texture but certainly not 50fps slower.
    BTW:
    mipmapping has nothing to do w/ reducing texel lookup time(at least not that I know of) or anything.It's used to get rid of the aliasing caused by resampling the texture images.

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

Actually mip mapping will improve performance with minified textures because the implementation won't have to sample as many pixels. If the texture is minified lots of texels can contribute to a single pixel and thus lots of samples have to be made which slows things down. With mip maps the texels/pixel ratio is more constant and performance is increased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast