OpenGL perfomance

Usually programs with OpenGL use one viewport, but I need to draw simultaneously 10-100 viewports (2d/3d charts). Is it good idea to use OpenGL in such situation?

Why 10-100… at best you can only get four on a screen at one time to see. Just draw the screens that are visible, and swap screens by user control with the other 100!

I think with opengl or Direct X you will have a problem with 10 - 100 windows open at one time. I don’t think most computer would have to memory to hand more then a 20 or so open at a time.

Another option would be to tile the images on one window, and if a user clicks on a image then expand it to a new window.

Originally posted by ascripnik:
Usually programs with OpenGL use one viewport, but I need to draw simultaneously 10-100 viewports (2d/3d charts). Is it good idea to use OpenGL in such situation?

Hi !

If you need to have each in it’s own window, then you would possibly loose a lot of performance because of the context switching, but if you can have all in one window (using glViewport to select which one), then I think it could work.

But as said before, more then a few charts is pretty useless as you wouldn’t see much anyway.

Mikael

Ok, I mean only can I achive the good perfomance.

I have another render thread for each window (this is another problem when alot of threads), but have I the render context switching problem in this case?