Thread: Reflection basics

Member Contributor

Reflection basics

I've been going through Nehe's tutorial on reflections with the stencil buffer and I have tried to implement it myself, but I'm not able to pull the trick off... Therefore a few questions:

Nehe uses a single quad to put the reflection on, I have a crapload of quads (all in the same plane tho) I want to put my reflection on. Does this effect the method?

Does lighting effect the reflection? Nehe uses a single diffused light, I followed this example, but is it nescesary for the reflection?

How important is the plane equation given to "glClipPlane" and which effect does it have on the reflection?

That's it for now.
    My hardware DOES support the stencil buffer (as nehe's code works) and I almost exactly copy-pasted his code (only changed the functions that draw the objects)

TY

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru imported_dorbie's Avatar

Re: Reflection basics

Many quads won't affect this IF they are all coplanar.

The glClipPlane is essential ONLY if you have geometry on both sides of the reflecting plane. If you can guarantee that the geometry you are drawing for the reflection will be on one side of the reflector yo don't need the glip plane.

Make sure you clear the depth buffer before the reflection render.

For best results the light should be reflected with the geometry (reposition it after the reflection matrix) but fundamentally it won't break things if it isn't right. More complex lighting shouldn't break this either.

[This message has been edited by dorbie (edited 01-03-2003).]

Member Contributor

Thanks...

I got a reflection going with a single plane, and I know what went wrong though I haven't solved it yet.

I played about with Nehe's source code a tad more and changed the position of the plane to the position that the plane has in my application. The result is that the "reflection" appears TOO SOON on the plane because the plane equation is incorrect.
    The plane equation is given to the glClipPlane and equals to {0,-1,0,0}. I have changed this to match the new plane ({0,-1,0,-1}) but there is NO change. Whatever I do with the fourth parameter I can't get it ON the plane. There doesn't happen anything.

the code I used is this:

Code :
    glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT);

// Clip Plane Equations
    	double eqr[] = {0.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f};			// Plane Equation To Use For The Reflected Objects

glLoadIdentity();									// Reset The Modelview Matrix
    	glTranslatef(0.0f, -0.6f, zoom);					// Zoom And Raise Camera Above The Floor (Up 0.6 Units)
    	glColorMask(0,0,0,0);								// Set Color Mask
    	glEnable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);							// Enable Stencil Buffer For "marking" The Floor
    	glStencilFunc(GL_ALWAYS, 1, 1);						// Always Passes, 1 Bit Plane, 1 As Mask
    	glStencilOp(GL_KEEP, GL_KEEP, GL_REPLACE);			// We Set The Stencil Buffer To 1 Where We Draw Any Polygon
    														// Keep If Test Fails, Keep If Test Passes But Buffer Test Fails
    														// Replace If Test Passes
    	glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);							// Disable Depth Testing
    	DrawFloor();										// Draw The Floor (Draws To The Stencil Buffer)
    														// We Only Want To Mark It In The Stencil Buffer
    	glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);							// Enable Depth Testing
    	glColorMask(1,1,1,1);								// Set Color Mask to TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE
    	glStencilFunc(GL_EQUAL, 1, 1);						// We Draw Only Where The Stencil Is 1
    														// (I.E. Where The Floor Was Drawn)
    	glStencilOp(GL_KEEP, GL_KEEP, GL_KEEP);				// Don't Change The Stencil Buffer
    	glEnable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0);							// Enable Clip Plane For Removing Artifacts
    														// (When The Object Crosses The Floor)
    	glClipPlane(GL_CLIP_PLANE0, eqr);					// Equation For Reflected Objects
    	glPushMatrix();										// Push The Matrix Onto The Stack
    		glScalef(1.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f);					// Mirror Y Axis
    		glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPos);	// Set Up Light0
    		glTranslatef(0.0f, height, 0.0f);				// Position The Object
    		glRotatef(xrot, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);				// Rotate Local Coordinate System On X Axis
    		glRotatef(yrot, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);				// Rotate Local Coordinate System On Y Axis
    		DrawObject();									// Draw The Sphere (Reflection)
    	glPopMatrix();										// Pop The Matrix Off The Stack
    	glDisable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0);							// Disable Clip Plane For Drawing The Floor
    	glDisable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);							// We Don't Need The Stencil Buffer Any More (Disable)
    	glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPos);		// Set Up Light0 Position
    	glEnable(GL_BLEND);									// Enable Blending (Otherwise The Reflected Object Wont Show)
    	glDisable(GL_LIGHTING);								// Since We Use Blending, We Disable Lighting
    	glColor4f(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.8f);					// Set Color To White With 80% Alpha
    	glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);	// Blending Based On Source Alpha And 1 Minus Dest Alpha
    	DrawFloor();										// Draw The Floor To The Screen
    	glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);								// Enable Lighting
    	glDisable(GL_BLEND);								// Disable Blending
    	glTranslatef(0.0f, height, 0.0f);					// Position The Ball At Proper Height
    	glRotatef(xrot, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);					// Rotate On The X Axis
    	glRotatef(yrot, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);					// Rotate On The Y Axis
    	DrawObject();										// Draw The Ball
    	xrot += xrotspeed;									// Update X Rotation Angle By xrotspeed
    	yrot += yrotspeed;									// Update Y Rotation Angle By yrotspeed
    	glFlush();											// Flush The GL Pipeline
    	return TRUE;										// Everything Went OK
    Basically a cut 'n paste job and I only changed the plane equation in the code above (double eqr[] = {0.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f} ) and I lowered the floor to y==-1 (no code included, it's just a simple blended quad). No results...

What am I missing?

[This message has been edited by Structural (edited 01-03-2003).]

Member Contributor

Nevermind... I solved the previous problem... It had to do with the translation of the object.

Next problem: the reflection is NOT ONLY projected on the correct plane... It is also projected on not reflecting surfaces (which I have not drawn on the stencil buffer as far as I know)...
    Any tips/hints of what it could be?