winxp error message

I’m running xp and now all the programs I write that use opengl give me this error message twice upon execution.
application failed to initialize correctly (0xc0000005). I have no idea what’s wrong and I really don’t want to know. I just want to know how to fix this. I’m using msvc 6.0.

Thanks.

Nick

Hi again !

I did find it on MSDN after some digging, but it does not give much help.

"Error Message:
(Application Error) The application failed to initialize properly (0xaddress ). Click on OK to terminate the application.

User Action:
This is a Windows 2000 Executive STATUS error message. After you terminate the application, try running it again. If this message reappears, contact the supplier of the application."

Hi again !

It look’s like my first reply got lost somewhere, what I said was that I didn’t have a solution, but I have the same problem with an application (not sure if it has anything to do with OpenGL but the app is using OpenGL also), if you figure out what the problem is please post a message abut it…

Mikael

I switched one of the programs that was having problems from opengl to plain old gdi and now it runs fine in release mode but no in debug mode, so looks like it might not be opengl after all. I used microsoft’s debugger in the windows sdk and the problem seems to be that:

when it tries to load dciman32.dll
this happens
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -

So figure out whatever library is causing this dciman32.dll to be loaded and get rid of it. I’m not really sure what dciman32.dll does, but my system obviously doesn’t have it.

Nick

Well, I use winXP with MSVC 6.0 and 7.0 and have never had a problem like this with my own programs… Now, if they are program by other people and I am simply running the exe rather than compiling it myself, I sometimes get a problem like that… The solution to this problem was:

• Right click on the exe file, go to properties and then in the compatibility tab select win200. This fixed my problems.

The only problem I had was with MSVC 7 where vectors were slow like crap, and I had to implement dynamic arryas to solve this.

Do you have all winXP updates… They have a bunch that without them will cause your os to run very poorly… And install your graphics driver from the maker rather than the one that windows has…