Thread: Could someone please take me through setting (linking) files to use OpenGL in .NET ?

Senior Member Regular Contributor

Could someone please take me through setting (linking) files to use OpenGL in .NET ?

Hi, I've tried to run some projects from CDROM in book 'Realtime character animation with VS' (uses OpenGL). However, when I try to compile, I get errors that gl.h is not found. I've done search and this file is on my computer.
    I also have NVidia geForce 4 Ti4200 and those cards come with OpenGL drivers (v. 1.5 is their most recent implementation, I think). Anyway, I understand that I need to tell the compiler where the .h files are and to link to the .lib files (or .dll)? The problem is that I'm totally new to Win/MFC/VS architectures and platforms. Could someone please tell me the steps I need to perform (settings?) in VS .NET project to be able to run OpenGL code?
    Thank you,
    Luke

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: Could someone please take me through setting (linking) files to use OpenGL in .NET ?

Try searching this forum, the setup of .net has be answered on here before.

I myself prefer C++, where as a .net program will lock you into a windows only software and also .net is not been out that long not sure how well adopted it will become.

Originally posted by BigShooter:
    Hi, I've tried to run some projects from CDROM in book 'Realtime character animation with VS' (uses OpenGL). However, when I try to compile, I get errors that gl.h is not found. I've done search and this file is on my computer.
    I also have NVidia geForce 4 Ti4200 and those cards come with OpenGL drivers (v. 1.5 is their most recent implementation, I think). Anyway, I understand that I need to tell the compiler where the .h files are and to link to the .lib files (or .dll)? The problem is that I'm totally new to Win/MFC/VS architectures and platforms. Could someone please tell me the steps I need to perform (settings?) in VS .NET project to be able to run OpenGL code?
    Thank you,
    Luke

Re: Could someone please take me through setting (linking) files to use OpenGL in .NET ?

It might be easier to start with a known working project and make changes from there.

Check out Display3DS and remember to set your 'Startup Project' as Display3DS.

Note how the GL include files are provided and referenced.

Good luck in your studies...
    /p2

Senior Member Regular Contributor

ok, got it working.
    Thanks to all for help.