.NET C++

Is the new version of Visual C++ any diffrent from 6?

The C++ aspect isn’t. Just that .net allows C# and some other funky stuff (apparently).

I got .net yesterday.

If have Win 95, 98 or ME and don´t want to change your operation system, forget it. .net works only on Win2000 and certainly XP. I don´t like this, because under 2000 some hardware of mine doesn´t work, but it is the only way to use it.

The IDE is, on the first look, different. But when you use it for some hours, you will like it as much, or even more than 6.0. And you will discover, that it is very, very similiar to 6.0.
Of course the first thing one has to do, is to tell it, where all your libs and includes are. This is the first problem, because those things are hidden somewhere else than in 6.0. And of course you have to register it.
It seems to use one IDE for all languages. That meens, if you use C++ first and try C# then, you won´t have to learn, where all the buttons are, because C# uses the same window. I think that´s very good.

As i said, i first set the paths for the libs and includes and copied the gl, al, devil and my one libs and includes in the directories. After that, i opened some old projects and compiled them. There where absolutely no problems in doing this. Just perfect!

All in all i don´t regret to have bought it, but i have to get XP, because i don´t like 2000.

Hope that helped you.
Jan.

I haven’t done a lot with VC.Net yet since at work we are just using C# with .Net and at home I use VS6, but so far as I know the only difference between VC++ 6 and VC++.Net is that VC++.Net added some new “Managed code” extensions.

Since OpenGL and “Managed code” don’t exactly mix too well, you likely won’t ever use any of those features for OpenGL applications.

I do like some of the new little IDE features of .Net, but I don’t like how much slower it loads up. Granted, my work machine is pretty slow to begin with, but for my home use, I doubt I’ll ever really feel like forking out the money for .Net.

A word of acvice, KraKRaZoR: If the current system you’re using works just fine for its purpose, then there’s absolutely no need for you to squander the money on upgrading it.