OpenGL Header files

I have kind of old OpenGL header files (gl.h, glu.h ect) which shipped with my compiler, and I think that’s why sample programs from the internet don’t work. (glBindTexture and glGenTextures are missing) My own programs, which don’t use texturing work fine however.

My question is: where can I download the latest OpenGL Header files? I’ve been looking on this site for 15 minutes.

I forgot: I use Borland C++ Builder 3.0, and I think I also need the libs…

Look here:
http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/specs.html
and here: http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut.html

You can find the updated headers on the GLUT for windows site list under the GLUT section.

Originally posted by Tristan Hartskeerl:
[b]I have kind of old OpenGL header files (gl.h, glu.h ect) which shipped with my compiler, and I think that’s why sample programs from the internet don’t work. (glBindTexture and glGenTextures are missing) My own programs, which don’t use texturing work fine however.

My question is: where can I download the latest OpenGL Header files? I’ve been looking on this site for 15 minutes.[/b]

Yeah, that´s something which interests me too. I asked a similar question 2 months ago and I got the answer, that there are no new headers, etc. but i should use extensions.

Well, that´s only half-true as i figured out. There are newer headers, because some functions are basic gl stuff and no extensions as far as i know. And additionally, i found someone, who had “newer” headers (there was a versionnumber 1.3 and my old one had the number 1.1).

I know, that there are no regular updates because you use extensions for this. However there have to be newer headers, because someone said (in the advanced forum), that he now uses OpenGL 2.0. I never new, that it was released yet! So where do i get it?

Thanks from me too,
Jan.

nexusone thanks, you posted your answer the time i was just typing my question :wink:
However, i don´t use glut and i didn´t find other OpenGL stuff there.

Jan

This is a huge problem with OpenGL development.

I guess that originally (on SGI stations and the likes), the compiler, the OpenGL hardware, the OpenGL drivers, the OpenGL headers and the OpenGL libraries were all supplied by the same vendor. Then you could more or less assume that the version of the headers etc were the same as the version of the actual OpenGL implementation.

On consumer PC’s, the situation is a whole different story. Most “components” (compiler, hardware etc) are supplied by different manufacturers. Thus you are likely to end up with version inconsistencies.

With that said:

1. Under Windows, you only get “native” support for OpenGL 1.1 (Microsoft has no interest in supporting technology that competes with DirectX)

2. Most compilers come with OpenGL 1.1 headers and libraries (you seem to have OpenGL 1.0 headers though)

3. Most hardware/drivers support at least OpenGL 1.2

To make use of OpenGL functionality that is in OpenGL 1.2 or later, you need to get the function pointers for those functions as if they were extensions (see http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/OGLextensions/OGLextensions.html ). You also need headers that support the OpenGL version that you want to use.

For OpenGL 1.1 development (under Windows), you only need the new headers and libraries, since OpenGL 1.1 is supported by Microsoft.

So, the question is still: where can I find them?

I have not found any good “plain” sources yet (I’m still looking). What you CAN do is to:

A) Download the free LCC-Win32 compile. It contains OpenGL 1.1 headers (originally from SGI I believe)

B) Download the free Cygwin compiler environment. It contains OpenGL 1.2.1 headers (from the SGI open source project)

C) Download the free Mesa3D implementation. It contains OpenGL 1.3 headers (by Brian Paul).

Regardless of what you chose, you will probably have to tweak the headers a little bit to make them work with your compiler, and you still need the OpenGL 1.1 libraries for Borland 3.0 - I do not know where to get those . Perhaps the free Borland C++ Builder compiler 5.5 has them? - http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/ (I do not know if they are compatible with Borland 3).

I am in total agreement with that! on opengl development and MS support for it…

I have switch from the MS compiler to the Lcc compiler…
I have downloaded the source files for lastest GLUT and trying to make new lib’s for it, since the lib’s current that I have are old.

Originally posted by marcus256:
[b]This is a huge problem with OpenGL development.

I guess that originally (on SGI stations and the likes), the compiler, the OpenGL hardware, the OpenGL drivers, the OpenGL headers and the OpenGL libraries were all supplied by the same vendor. Then you could more or less assume that the version of the headers etc were the same as the version of the actual OpenGL implementation.

On consumer PC’s, the situation is a whole different story. Most “components” (compiler, hardware etc) are supplied by different manufacturers. Thus you are likely to end up with version inconsistencies.

With that said:

1. Under Windows, you only get “native” support for OpenGL 1.1 (Microsoft has no interest in supporting technology that competes with DirectX)
  1. Most compilers come with OpenGL 1.1 headers and libraries (you seem to have OpenGL 1.0 headers though)
  1. Most hardware/drivers support at least OpenGL 1.2

To make use of OpenGL functionality that is in OpenGL 1.2 or later, you need to get the function pointers for those functions as if they were extensions (see http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/OGLextensions/OGLextensions.html ). You also need headers that support the OpenGL version that you want to use.

For OpenGL 1.1 development (under Windows), you only need the new headers and libraries, since OpenGL 1.1 is supported by Microsoft.

So, the question is still: where can I find them?

I have not found any good “plain” sources yet (I’m still looking). What you CAN do is to:

A) Download the free LCC-Win32 compile. It contains OpenGL 1.1 headers (originally from SGI I believe)

B) Download the free Cygwin compiler environment. It contains OpenGL 1.2.1 headers (from the SGI open source project)

C) Download the free Mesa3D implementation. It contains OpenGL 1.3 headers (by Brian Paul).

Regardless of what you chose, you will probably have to tweak the headers a little bit to make them work with your compiler, and you still need the OpenGL 1.1 libraries for Borland 3.0 - I do not know where to get those . Perhaps the free Borland C++ Builder compiler 5.5 has them? - http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/ (I do not know if they are compatible with Borland 3).[/b]