Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DirectX's goal: Make Programmers pull their hair out

Halcyon

DirectX's goal: Make Programmers pull their hair out

Ok ok....i DID make a post about learning both OpenGL and DirectX and how it's really good to know them both. I still stand by what i said....but i started learning DirectX today...and let me tell you...I don't think i've seem more enumerated variables and constants in my entire life. THERE ARE SOOO MANY. It just seems clumsy and it really isn't as welcoming to beginners are OpenGL. I think i'm going to wait until i finish learning OpenGL and then start up on D3D...but by then it'll probably be a WHOLE different syntax and all. Grrr....

Sorry...there really is not point to this post other than to vent my frustration. If anyone else would like to vent their anger please feel free!

GL RULES!

- Halcyon

Junior Member Newbie

Re: DirectX's goal: Make Programmers pull their hair out

Yeah, I prefer OpenGL to DirectX I started making a DirectX 9 engine the other day - its _alot_ more code to do simple things like displaying a triangle than in GL.

Senior Member Regular Contributor

i had really bad experiences with earlier versions of directx as well. what's amazed me is how much direct3d has gravitated towards opengl's way of doing things. they backed away from some of the COM nonsense and made initialization a lot easier (especially with 8.0).

still though, i don't think you can write the newer versions of directx off the way you could the older versions (prior to 7.0, say). things have gotten a lot easier, and it seems to me that for the most part it's roughly comparable to opengl now in terms of learning difficulty. further, some stuff is a lot easier (one example: standardized vertex buffers in direct3d versus the VAR/VAO extension mess in opengl). the advanced board recently had a good discussion going on about this issue.

i really just wish the ARB would act more quickly in standardizing things, but it's always been the case and always will be the case that democracies move slower than dictatorships.

Oh, you poor kiddies ran into a little DirectX on the way here, and have gotten sick all of a sudden. The best way to prevent that is to avoid DirectX altogether, like I have.

I don't see a purpose in learning DirectX. Ever. If anybody does, I'd like to hear that reason though, so I can shoot it down for good.

Just knowing that DirectX even exists makes me want to rip my eyes out of their sockets and send them to Microsoft. Learning an entire new API every 1-2 years is not something I'm looking forward to, thank you very much.

Junior Member Newbie

you think that DirectX is useless eh?
    well, if you can write something better, than they have, do not complain. and if you have ever noticed anything beyond your bedroom walls, some companies do use Directx over OpenGL for performance and different applications. if you are wanting to become or be a better programmer, the best is to know ALL! then you'll be a good programmer.

* i dont know all, i want to know all, is what seperates you from me.

its the same thing with people against Microsoft. Microsoft has employed THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people. if all MS's apps whent open source, a lot of people would loose there jobs etc. think ALL the ways before making ur mind up, if you havent done that, ur no better than a moron in that aspect.
    HELP! HELP! HELP! IM STUPID!IM STUPID!IM STUPID!IM STUPID!IM STUPID!IM STUPID!

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Originally posted by Shiftytitan:

I thought the same way. However 2 years ago i had the desire to learn 3D programming. I bought a book about D3D. Guess what? I never got ANY program to run. And i donīt think i am such a stupid guy. D3D (7) was really not intuitiv (to avoid the word with f).

So i gave it up. Then i saw a simple 3D program by someone else and asked him how he learned 3D programming. Easy answer: nehe.gamedev.net -> 30 Minutes later my first 3 dimensional triangle rotated on my screen.

Donīt tell me you are a better human being, because you are willing to learn more. I think especially in the information technology business there are many people who are willing to learn much and only by themselves. I never had any teacher or friend who thought me C++, DirectX or OpenGL. I learned it by reading books and tutorials and by doing nearly nothing else in my free time.

However i am not willing to learn something, that is so unintuitive and so ever changing like D3D. And i can say this, because i tried it out.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Originally posted by rpxmaster:
    I don't see a purpose in learning DirectX. Ever. If anybody does, I'd like to hear that reason though, so I can shoot it down for good.
    i'd be interested in hearing your opinion on why so many game houses use directx. is it that professional game developers are simply too stupid to see through microsoft's marketing machine? or is it possible that there are in fact some valid reasons to use directx?

i'm not a directx fan, but to say that there's not a single good reason to learn directx is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Originally posted by Shiftytitan:
    you think that DirectX is useless eh?
    well, if you can write something better, than they have, do not complain.
    Bah. Write something better. You gotta be kidding. Without being able to define a driver interface, that's just hollow blabber. What a tremendous way to start out a comment ...
    and if you have ever noticed anything beyond your bedroom walls, some companies do use Directx over OpenGL for performance and different applications.
    If you believe in what you just said there, umm, let me restate these key points
    1)DirectX has inherent performance advantages over OpenGL
    2)DirectX and OpenGL are for different applications

Whatever, if you believe in these statements you have fallen victim to one of the more moronic FUD campaigns. And worse than that, you are spreading FUD. Please stop that.
    if you are wanting to become or be a better programmer, the best is to know ALL! then you'll be a good programmer.
    Yes, this one's absolutely true.

That's a real shocker if seen in conjunction with the rest of the posting. Had I read that sentence alone I'd still say it's an unnecessary offense, yet with a grain of truth hidden inside. But inside your complete posting it's just hilarious.
    (btw, IMO this forum needs special smilies for these occasions, I like this one: http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...ilies/bonk.gif )

its the same thing with people against Microsoft. Microsoft has employed THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people. if all MS's apps whent open source, a lot of people would loose there jobs etc. think ALL the ways before making ur mind up, if you havent done that, ur no better than a moron in that aspect.
    You seem easily swept by stupid marketing ploy. You suggest others don't think it through, so may I suggest that you start thinking through that again?

Thousands of programmers working for Microsoft, nice one. It has been attested by court that Microsoft stifled innovation and competition in the past and still continues to do so. Draw your own conclusions on what that might mean for jobs in the industry, but please don't forget to think.

Sheesh.

On 12-28-2002 02:52 AM, a Contributor named Shiftytitan made the following remark:
    if you are wanting to become or be a better programmer, the best is to know ALL! then you'll be a good programmer.
    Welcome to the real world of hackerdom, Shiftytitan. True enough, the more you know about something, the betteroff you are. However, there are some things that you should absolutely never learn...or ever admit to another hacker that you know how to use these, for obvious reasons. Such things like this include:

• COBOL
    • Visual Basic
    • C#
    • DirectX API

Shiftytitan, I envy you that one of these days you're going to know everything there is to know about computer science...including all of the stupid things that you're never, ever going to use in your lifetime. What a waste of valuable tuition money. It's only useful to learn all that you need to in order to do something. I'm assuming you're in your first year of a CS degree, if not younger than that. Therefore, I don't blame you if you haven't realized this yet.

On 12-28-2002 04:35 AM, a Frequent Contributor named SThomas made the following remark:
    is it that professional game developers are simply too stupid to see through microsoft's marketing machine?
    The reason why so many game manufacturers use DirectX is either because:

A) They're stupid.
    B) They've allowed themselved to be tied up in an exclusionary contract with Microshaft to favor their Windoze-specific crap over someone else's, which brings us back to reason A again.

On 12-28-2002 04:35 AM, a Frequent Contributor named SThomas made the following remark:
    or is it possible that there are in fact some valid reasons to use directx?
    Either there are no reasons to use it, or I don't know of any. If anybody uses DirectX in favor of something else, then let's hear it, because I haven't heard one reason so far.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Reason for using DirectX Graphics
    *drumroll*

Once a feature is supported, it behaves the same on every card. Meaning that Pixel Shader 1.1 is Pixel Shader 1.1 is Pixel Shader 1.1. Possibly saves you some time, dunno how much.

You still have to check caps and write multiple codepaths for supporting older cards though, so don't let people tell you that there is equivalent to 'extension handling' in DXG.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast