Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Opengl a Z-buffer?

Feeding Opengl a Z-buffer?

Is it possible to have a "saved" Z-buffer array, and then feed that value to opengl to use for each frame? I want to create a "backdrop" style game like "Resident Evil, or Myst". Is it possible to do this, and then render other objects as normal, checking against the "feed in" z-buffer?

Re: Feeding Opengl a Z-buffer?

Yes, you can set the z-buffer using:

Code :
    glDrawPixels(width, height, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, myPtrToASavedZBufferAsFloats);

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Relic's Avatar

glDrawPixels with GL_FLOAT will probably not be fast enough. If you want glDrawPixels at all save and restore it as GL_UNSIGNED_INT.
    Much(!) faster is to draw it once and save and restore it with the WGL_ARB_buffer_region extension.

Ok, that last post slightly confused me. Are you saying, I can load my array into the Z-buffer in memory for frame #1, and then simply restore said buffer for frames #2-#n? Or am I WAY off of that understanding?

Also, what is the difference between using ints vs floats for the depth buffer, I thought the depth buffer was ALL float values?

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru imported_dorbie's Avatar

Yes that is what is being said.

The depth buffer only pretends to be a float value. Same as color values in OpenGL, the actual hardware uses a hidden internal representation.

Ok, after reading that last post, I am now a little worried. Say I create a "grand" scene in blender3D, or lightwave, etc. Now I render it using said program and save that render to a texture file. Now I find a way to either save, or export the Z-buffer built of that image, from said program.

I take the rendered image, and load it as a texture on a backdrop quad, and render the quad. I then overwrite the current OpenGL depth buffer, with the depth buffer I exported from my program (I am attempting to create a backdrop, that objects can be rendered "in" kind of like how resident evil, although it is a backdrop image, you can walk in front of some stuff, etc). Now, when I attempt to render any "new" objects in my scene, will they work with the current depth buffer? OR, will there be problems? I was figuring as long as I used the same "unit" dimentions, frustum, etc, there wouldnt, but now I am unsure. I dont want to end up with somethings being placed and rendered correcly, and others showing halfway through stuff.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Relic's Avatar

If you have the same setup for projection and modelview matrices and depthrange, you can do this (pseudo code):
    Code :
    // Init backdrop (slow)
    glDrawPixels(GL_RGBA) // fill color
    glDrawPixels(GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT) // depth buffer 
    wglSaveBufferRegion(whole_window) // depth and color
    for (animation)
    {
      draw_moving_objects()
      SwapBuffers()
      wglRestoreBufferRegion() // either the whole window or if your pixelformat 
      // is PFD_SWAP_COPY and you know where you drew the objects, 
      // only those rects
    }

Senior Member Regular Contributor

I'm on a Mac, so I can't use WGL_ARB_buffer_region. Is there any other way to restore a depth buffer that would be faster than the glReadPixels/glDrawPixels route?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Those posts were written over 3 years ago. Things have changed.

The correct way to save the depth buffer nowadays is to use a Renderbuffer for the depth buffer. You can use the EXT_framebuffer_blit extension to copy from/to renderbuffers.

Senior Member Regular Contributor

None of the computers I have access to support EXT_framebuffer_blit, so I guess things haven't changed enough. Thanks anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast