OpenGL Lighting!

Hi all! I have a quick question. I was wondering if OpenGL really limits the number of lights you can have in a scene to 8…? Does this seem like a small number, or is it just me? Thanks!

Yes and no…

OpenGL guarantees at least 8 lights but on some hardware there is more… (not on many mind you)

the real limitation is that you may only use 8 (or hardware limit) lights at a time not in a program…

This does not seem too limiting in my opinion espcecially if you want to maintain realtime performance…

Hum. Thanks! I suppose if you’re flexible and unload lights and such when they’re not needed, it really doesn’t matter…

right, but by unloading I think you mean redefining (if you want to use it eslewhere) or turning it off if it is unused in the particular part of a scene

Yes, 8 lights may not seem like many.

But the fact is that usually by about 4 or so lights the scene is completely saturated in some areas, and adding more lights doesn’t improve it at all; you just get big white spots where the scene is too bright.

Like you both have been saying, you can use virtual lights and only turn a light on if it has a noticeable effect on an object.

j

Just out of interest MrShane, are you ripping off my name? Not that I really care