Milkshape Object to OpenGL Source (C++)

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to create an OpenGL source from a 3D object that is created usign Milkshape…Right now there are different export options available in this software but not for OpenGL.

And also if you can let me know if we need any additional Plugin to get this functionality.

Thanks,
VG

I’ve never personally used Milkshape, so I can’t verify the accuracy of this tutorial, but http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/gametuts/gametut.asp?lesson=04 has information on loading Milkshape’s MS3D file format, and some downloadable source that you can use in your own code as well. The first part of the tutorial is on loading Quake’s MD2 file format, which you can ignore if you’re not interested in that.

Hope this helps.

There is an exporter for Milkshape that will create a C/C++ style header with the model information in it.

The plug-in comes with sample code on how to use it.

It is on the Milkshape website under plug-in’s

Originally posted by CG12345:
[b]Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to create an OpenGL source from a 3D object that is created usign Milkshape…Right now there are different export options available in this software but not for OpenGL.

And also if you can let me know if we need any additional Plugin to get this functionality.

Thanks,
VG[/b]

Hi,

I tried to use your plugin to export a 3D object created using Milkshape,But when I tried to register the DLL it is failing with a message " Load library (msOpenGLCppExporter.dll) Failed- Could not load he specified module could not be found…

Iam trying to register it on a WIN2K OS…

I copied the DLL file to SYSTEM32 directory
and run C:>winnt\system32> regsvr32 msOpenGLCppExporter.dll

Iam not sure…any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry don’t run win2K, and I have downloaded the milkshape and that plugin,but have not tried it.

I copied the c/c++ plugin to the milkshape plugin directory with the other dll’s.
Maybe you sould try that.

Originally posted by CG12345:
[b]Hi,

I tried to use your plugin to export a 3D object created using Milkshape,But when I tried to register the DLL it is failing with a message " Load library (msOpenGLCppExporter.dll) Failed- Could not load he specified module could not be found…

Iam trying to register it on a WIN2K OS…

I copied the DLL file to SYSTEM32 directory
and run C:>winnt\system32> regsvr32 msOpenGLCppExporter.dll

Iam not sure…any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[/b]

I haven’t tried Milkshape much either, but it sounds like you are trying to register it as a COM DLL. Maybe the DLL doesn’t contain any COM interfaces. I’m not sure how plug-ins work for Milkshape, but unless it specifically told you to register it like that, I would guess that it is just a regular old DLL with exported functions.

Try just copying it into the Milkshape plugin directory like nexusone said.

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 04-30-2003).]

yes that is correct. put the DLL in the folder where Milkshape is installed. also look at the milkshape log file (also in that dir) there will be a section where the DLLs are loading. if you need any more help, try the milkshap forums.

jebus