Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ARB2 and FP in OpenGL ?

Member Contributor

ARB2 and FP in OpenGL ?

I am looking for several hours now and i can't find any docs on ARB2 extensions. I bought a new graphics card (r300) and would like to do some floating point fragment stuff in opengl without getting vendor-specific.
    Where can i find any information on Floating Point formats in OpenGL and information on ARB2 fragment programs (if there is a ARB2 vertex program implementation with flowcontrol i would also love it).
    I hope there is a way and i will not have to wait until GL2 arrives.

cu
    Tom

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Relic's Avatar

Re: ARB2 and FP in OpenGL ?

There aren't.
    Start with ARB_vertex_program, ARB_fragment_program here http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/

Member Contributor

Thanks, but i know the ARB_fragment_program. It sucks on mantissa and exponent. I know this kind of shaders very well from dx 8.1, but i do not like them. I would love some kind of flowcontrol for the vertex shaders and at least my 64bit of precision on fragment level.
    Is there really nothing to do ?
    How does Doom3 use OpenGL 1.x to adress Floating Point stuff on ARB Level (I can choose the R200 or !ARB2! Path on my R9700).
    I hope there is a way, because else i will have to turn away from OpenGL and get back to DX9. OpenGL makes more fun to code with and i got very used to it in the last 4 years.
    Please help me, i don't have the time and the money (for hardware) to make Vendor-Specific implemantations.
    Is there NO way ?
    HELP !

cu
    Tom78

Member Contributor

No way, till GL2 arrives ?

cu
    Tom

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

Buffers will be improved in the near future thanks to uberbuffers (the name may have changed) but you will have to wait a few months before the spec is out, and some other months before implementations are ready. That is for the ARB level.

If you're hurried, currently vendor-specific extensions is the best solution, even though you seem to hate / can't afford them.

Member Contributor

That's bad, because i can't stay with one GPU in mind.
    So that seems to be the end of the long OpenGL Road for me. It was much easier to handle than D3D.
    OpenGL is developing too slowly, to keep pace with D3D (Not Vendorspecific stuff, only ARB).
    SGI failed.

cu
    Tom

Member Contributor

The ATI extensions also seem to suck very bad. I missed a point or it is not possible to use a direct framebuffer with floatingpoints.
    Did i miss something or do u really have to render off framebuffer and copy(switch) to a pbuffer ?

cu
    Tom

Member Contributor

I also looked at Doom3 once again and i am sure, that it does not use R300 Path for fragment programs and still uses the precision of ver2.0 fragment shaders. Of course i can't say anything to flowcontrol and so on, but it seems to be possible (with todays drivers) to use ARB-style fragment programs that can be executed on both the R300 and the NV30.
    Is there any information on this subject ? Why should ATI and NVidia write Extensions for this if it's still not useable ?
    I need some information on this ARB_vertex_program2 and/or ARB_fragment_program2 ?
    You are my last hope. I am ****ed off very hard by OpenGL and i hope that there is perhaps a possibility to code that stuff, even if there still is no specs about it (the implementation seems to be there in both NVidia AND Ati Drivers).

cu
    Tom

Senior Member Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry but I haven't got that much experience with floating-point framebuffers.

I suggest that you post a topic on the advanced forum instead. You will have better replies there, and maybe replies from guys working at ATi or nVidia.

Member Contributor

Thanks anyway.
    It would be very cool, if u could link this thread in the advanced forum please. I can't register at the moment.
    Please help me, because i'm stuck at the moment and can't do anything (without using vendor-specific extensions).

Thanks in advance.
    Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast