EULER ANGLES & QUATERNIONS

I am trying to implement a rather simple 3rd person flight sim/flying game.
I’m getting stuck when trying to do the user controls. I’ve tried a bunch of stuff, now I’m using Quaternions.
So, basically, I keep track of the airplane’s local i, j, k vector (representing roll, yaw, pitch). When the user decides to roll, for instance, the axes vectors are rotated around the i vector.
Once the user has input data, and the program is ready to render, it basically has i, j, and k vectors which represent the axes of the airplane.
What I’ve been trying to do is calculate the angles between various coordinate-planes and rotate by those angles about the axes using glRotatef().
I first calculate the values by rotating about the i, axis, then I deal with yaw, then pitch. Then I use glRotatef to rotate the airplane in the correct orientation. However, when I run this, it gives me totally, totally weird results whenever I try more than one rotation at a time.
Does anyone have any information about how to implement the plane controls, source code, or links to anywhere that I can get information? Thanks for any help at all.

Hi,

You can get away easier if you just build your own transformation matrix for the plane and apply it with glMultMatrix. The first column vector of the matrix is the i vector, second j and third k. Or those is some other order, depends on your coordinate system. The last column is the plane’s position vector and the bottom row is 0 0 0 1.

-Ilkka

I have a few camera systems on my site. I use quaternions, euler angles…
http://cheo.resnet.wayne.edu/miguel/

You should take a look at them.