Automatic texture coordinate generation

The redbook says that glTexGeni(GL_S, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_OBJECT_LINEAR)will make the texture move with the object. (I do this for GL_T also).

So I am wondering how opengl knows how the object has transformed? Does this mean that any glTranslate, glRotate, glScale commands I do AFTER I enable with glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S) are treated as the object transforming until I glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S) it again?

In other words, where do I put this in the code so it doesn’t affect everything else?

Thanks!

OpenGL uses the vertex after modelview transformation to generate texture coordinates. Do your modelview transformations as usual, and enable texture coordinate generation when needed.

OK, I thought when I put GL_OBJECT_PLANE instead of GL_OBJECT_LINEAR, that meant that the plane was defined in world coordinates instead of the object’s coordinates. I guess the plane is ALWAYS in local coordinates?

So is this correct thinking then?..
glTexGeni(GL_S, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_OBJECT_LINEAR) just tells opengl that I want to generate texture coordinates local to that object. And glTexGenfv(GL_S, GL_OBJECT_PLANE, plane) tells opengl that I want to use a plane which I specify.

Thanks!