Pbuffer

does anybody know or want to explain the basics of pbuffers?

basically im trying to render to a texture… and will utilize that to do a distortion effect… (kinda metroid prime-ish)
Im really struggling with handling all the framebuffer stuff… i kinda just put in all that code without thinking about it to get the scene ready up till now…

Sorry if i sound lame

Kent

Its just like a ‘spare’ buffer. So you can hardware (card etc dependant) accell render to it and the play with it and do whatever you fancy with it really.

:slight_smile: cool… i guess understand the concept fairly well i suppose… the trouble is trying to implement it… im completely clueless as to creating the pbuffer binding it and then being able to store that as a texture.

You may want to look at my “Render to texture” project…
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ1234

wow there is a lot of code to that tutorial… i’ll try to manage my way through that… Though im not sure what in there is applicable to my situation… i just need to get the scene into a texture… I know what to do w/ the rest… it’d also be nice to avoid the wgl stuff and make it as simple as possible… however that may be asking a little much :-p

[This message has been edited by Kent767 (edited 12-02-2002).]

Sorry, but if you are using windows, the only way to create a pbuffer is to use wgl. The extension is WGL_ARB_pbuffer after all.

yeah i see… sorry if i sound too pushy… i guess im just having trouble creating the framebuffer and mapping that to a texture… in a quick one time use way… minimal classes etc…
Kent