Plotting FE plots

1. Can I use OpenGl for translating my Finite Element Data into Plots & Graphs(1D, 2D or 3D).
  2. To start with what should I do, please suggest me some books, which I can understand and implement in real short time.
  3. How, I mean, in what ways is OpenGl is better,if it is, than other Finite element plotting Softwares like ‘Tecplot’.
    Though these may seem pretty preliminary I am really serious about them…
    I wish you do help me out…
    Yours sincerely,
    Sridhara

Hi !

If that’s all you want to do I think you should use a specialized tool for it, OpenGL is a very general 3D framwork, and I think it will take some time to do what you want, OpenGL is at a very low level.

But please have a look at www.opengl.org documentation section, there are lot’s of links to information about OpenGL.

Mikael

Hi,
As the previous message suggested, OpenGL a low level API. I’ve spent the last 2 months writing a 3D FE viewing program using OpenGL with MFC. There are no standard formats for 3D data in OpenGL or FE (obviously), so it’s quite a lot of work to generate something suitable. An off the shelf package for FE data would be much quicker than writing your own app.
Cheers.